Christmas Party Couple - 1st Attempt

Jermz_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Nikon D80 with the kit glass (18-55mm). I was at our corporate Christmas party recently and snapped a picture or two (total "point and shoot" style).

Here is my attempt with the new camera, and at black & white. I realize there is some issue with the gentleman's shirt being blown out and a few other little tidbits... but... again, my first attempt...

Please let me know what you think, ways to improve, etc... Just don't be too brutal! :lol:

2123447530_5ef26d6dd3_b.jpg

Interesting that there is a color cast to your B&W image. Perhaps you were going for a sepia tone look?

Also is the tree worth keeping in the shot? Your subjects are not very relaxed, but what can you do. Here is a quick crop just for fun. Breaking the 'rule' of thirds. O-boy watch out!

jermz-xmas-bw.jpg

-Shea

Ways to improve?

Ditch the guy and get the girl to give you a bit of attitude...lol.
She's very pretty.

Anyways...joking aside. Perhaps lose half a stop or a full stop and try and help with the shirt and a few other highlights...
I like the tree in the shot, better. But he's right...your black and white is kind of sepia tones.

that sepia tone I imagine is coming from the PP in PS... I switched it to grayscale, quadtone and loaded a PANTONE(R) Quadtones set...

I have to admit I like the tree, sort of gives the holiday ring to it and helps display why their poses and expressions look... well... rigid... ha-ha

Sideburns... If i could only convince my fiancee the old saying of "the more the merrier"... hahahaha

I don't like the edit. The colors in the original are better and it's good having the tree in there, it is a christmas party after all...

that sepia tone I imagine is coming from the PP in PS... I switched it to grayscale, quadtone and loaded a PANTONE(R) Quadtones set...

I have to admit I like the tree, sort of gives the holiday ring to it and helps display why their poses and expressions look... well... rigid... ha-ha

Sideburns... If i could only convince my fiancee the old saying of "the more the merrier"... hahahaha

ahaha. get a new one. She looks nice...

of course I'm just kidding. I am a proud supporter of monogamy lol

Keep a portion of the tree if you like for preserving the memory, but you have way too much dead space on the right.

Try to tone down the shirt.

Get the training wheels off that D80 as soon as possible and keep shooting.

Most reactions

Back