Christmas trip- D.C. Or suggestions from N.C.

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am 5 +\- hours south of D.C. at North Carolina Outer Banks for the rest of the year. Just wondering about a quick trip to see holiday decorations. I normally wouldn't be in this driving range but a 5-6 hour trip to go somewhere new is an opportunity for me :)
(For those of you that might 'know' me, no we are NOT driving the RV, just our Tundra and will,stay at hotel)

DC has the National Christmas Tree and smaller trees representing every state, territory and DC. They are located between the White House and the Washington Monument. The Washington DC Temple (Church of Latter Day Saints) in Kensington, MD has lights on all of the trees. There are also several "Light Shows" that you drive through in the suburbs; these usually charge a few dollars of a food can donation. The National Zoo also has a walk-through light show that runs through the holidays.

If you are interested in old homes decorated for the holidays then Annapolis is not far and Old Town Alexandria, VA is across the Potomac from DC. Georgetown, part of DC, also has a number of historic homes. Decorations in these areas are typically subdued - mainly greenery and candles.

Last edited:
If you care to see something really, really different, a few miles further North in Baltimore is 34thstreet .

I would be happy to meet and guide you around this.
It is really a sight to see and we could have dinner in local restautant.

Thanks Lew and Braineak for the thoughts and links. I know I can look it up, but how far is Baltimore from Annapolis? I have a niece there that maybe I can see on same trip? Nothing definite yet tho...

Baltimore is 30-40 minutes from Annapolis, depending on traffic.
Annapolis is 30-40 minutes from DC, depending on traffic and where you are startuing from.

The best places to stay in DC are along the Red Metro line at Dupont Circle or in Bethesda, MD.
Great restaurants, movies, etc and subway link to downtown.

upload_2015-11-24_11-18-45.png

And the museums are great if you've never been but impossible to see in just a weekend. There's all of the Smithsonian, the Holocaust museum, the spy museum, and others. Baltimore has the harbor which is really nice.

It's almost too much to recommend a weekend worth of sightseeing with so many difference places and attractions.

And the museums are great if you've never been but impossible to see in just a weekend. There's all of the Smithsonian, the Holocaust museum, the spy museum, and others. Baltimore has the harbor which is really nice.

It's almost too much to recommend a weekend worth of sightseeing with so many difference places and attractions.

Totally true, altho the spy museum is very crowded on holidays and expensive and not so revealing.
Depending on your interests, you might get to one or two in one day.
The best food , by far, (and most expensive) is the food court in the tunnel connecting the East and West wings of the National Gallery
The Library of Commerce is pretty but a good walk from the Mall - and is of limited attraction.
If you take the Metro in, as you should, going to the museums or Botanical Gardens which are on the South Side, change at Metro Center to the Orange/Blue lines to the Smithsonian stop. (Excellent trip planner at Metro - Rider Tools - Trip Planner )
For museums on north side of Mall, on the Red line go to Gallery Place/Chinatown and change to Green line to Branch avenue, get off at Archives stop and walk South a couple of blocks.

Day passes for Metro are at Metro - Fares - Purchase - Passes & Farecards

Every Museum has an extensive web site and you can plan what, if anything, you want to do there.

Neat area for restaurants is Dupont Circle on the Red Line.

There are also a few decent restaurants in CityCenter - near Chinatown (9th St & H St NW)

it's like a 10-15min walk at most. You can walk by Trump's new building :p

I've lived here my whole life and for some reason I've never gone into DC since probably field trips in school haha. Baltimore is fun. I personally enjoy the harbor more than the heart of DC. Bethesda is a fantastic place to stay also, expensive area. If you're snagging a hotel I must recommend a view of the harbor. You won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back