chromatic aberration in RAW doesn't appear in JPEG

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I was looking at some RAW files I shot and the color shift on objects (green on one edge and purple on the other side) appears in the RAW images but when I look at the same shot in JPEG (I have my camera set to RAW + JPEG) there is none at all. Why is this?

camera: Sony NEX -5N

Because Sony's Bionz image processor is removing the CA as it creates the JPEG.

Joe

Thanks. What do you do about RAW images you want to create your own JPEG from? for instance if you crop your image. Is it up to me to remove the CA? I didn't find anything in the software they provide (Image Data Converster) that does this

Raw images are just that. You see exactly what you took. JPEG images are automaticly processed by your camera. So it would have removed what the camera thought needed to be touched up.

Thanks. What do you do about RAW images you want to create your own JPEG from? for instance if you crop your image. Is it up to me to remove the CA? I didn't find anything in the software they provide (Image Data Converster) that does this

CA removal is a core function of a RAW file converter. The software you're using should have it built in. If it doesn't get better software.

Joe

I found this bit of information by accident when reading the review for the A77

"Like the NEX 5N and the SLT-A65 the Alpha SLT-A77 comes with optional in-camera optical corrections. Sony calls these tools 'lens compensation' and lens compensation comes in three flavors - 'shading', 'chromatic aberration' and 'distortion'. When these functions are activated (separately or en-masse) in the setup menu, the camera will attempt to reduce the respective effects based on Sony's profiles of current lenses. Sony has indicated that the number of profiles that the camera holds will be expanded via firmware updates as the system expands.

Even though CA and Distortion compensation will be applied to the JPEG file when shooting in raw+JPEG, the raw file will remain uncompensated. The story is slightly different for Shading compensation which is not only applied to the JPEG but also the raw file. In practice this means that, if the function is activated, Shading compensation will be applied to your output images when converting raw files in Adobe Camera Raw, Sony's IDC or any other raw converter.

It's also worth mentioning that Sony’s Image Data Converter software will apply CA and Distortion compensation if you have them activated in the camera at the time of shooting. You cannot manually turn them on and off in the software itself. The implication is that CA and Distortion compensation settings are stored in the raw file as metadata tags, and IDC applies them whenever it sees them. However Shading Compensation is applied directly to the data from the sensor before the camera writes the raw file, so it can’t be ‘undone’."

source: Sony SLT-A77 Review: 13. Camera Corrections: Digital Photography Review

Can someone verify that is how Sony IDC software is working? Honestly I can't get it to work as they claim on dpreview. When I output the JPEG using Image Data Converter it looks nothing like the in camera JPEG (the in camera one being way better, all CA is removed)

My version is 3.2

Most reactions

Back