Circular Polarizing Filter.

so what do you prefer to have, a polarizer for every lens or highest polarizer size and adapters to fit all other lenses? and why

Look at the cost for a quality polariser and compare it to the most expensive step-up ring you can find. This question is really pointless if you have like me:
52mm lens, 58mm lens, 62mm lens, 70mm lens, and two 77mm lenses. A polariser for each of these would set me back $500 for an average one.

so what do you prefer to have, a polarizer for every lens or highest polarizer size and adapters to fit all other lenses? and why

The reason I went with a single large cpol was cost. I wanted to get a good one. And a 77mm cpol from B+W was at the time $177. I have 5 different lens sizes. If I were to get one for each lens that would have been $885 for just one filter type. The step rings only cost me about $100.

I did by a second cpol when my wife starting taking pics on her own. For her I bought a "decent" filter from a local camera shop while traveling. Well my thoughts on buying the good ones were right on the money. The "decent" filter that I got from the local store was just that, decent. There was definately a quality difference. Also, luckily I gave her the cheaper one as it ended up getting broken about a week later.

If you are shooting something where you need to change lenses fast and want the polarizer effect, then you should get more than one. But if your have time and its not that big of a deal. Having just one is no problem. Especially if your on a budget. I would always choose 1 really good one over several cheap ones anyday. There is a difference.

Thanks for feedback. appreciated guys.

Does anyone by any chance have some shots with a wide angle less using a cpol?
I am really confused now about the uneven effect it would cause. can anyone elaborate ? or know any place i could read about it ?

I have a polarizer for every lens and use them often indoors as well. It takes the harshness out of flash use at the close to medium distances and can reduce some extreme highlights when shooting in available light.

skieur

This is what the effect looks like. Though the majority of the time it's no where near that severe. It is in this case because of the time, angle and location (desert). If this were shot say in the mountains, earlier or later in the day, and facing a different direction it would almost not be noticable.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/images/KEN_6031-polarizer.jpg

Btw I have never seen a sky blackened that deeply with a polariser before. I am willing to bet there is quite a contrast bump in that photo too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back