City sunset Zakim bridge

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A cold and windy sunset shoot in the city the other night. Been wanting to get this view of the Zakim for a while. Every time I drive by I admire it but there is no where to pull over. Finally arranged to meet a few friends in the North End then walk over here to this island in the middle of a busy intersection. These clouds hung on just long enough to keep it from being a total bust. A few of my favorites.

Zakim by SharonCat..., on Flickr

A wider look

A bus passing by. I like this one in b&w which isn’t typical for me. I’m posting both to see what you think works best.

At the end of blue hour

You seem to have found your groove on Cityscapes and Lanscapes. Great job!

I like 3 and 4 the best and I prefer the B&W. The colors are nice and vibrant, but there's lots of distractions here and I think B&W cleans it up. A good thing about this shot is that the bus obscured the traffic light that cuts across the bridge in the other shots.
I don't know if you saw my Zakim thread, but I found this bridge to be a stubborn subject. I decided it has wonderful lines that, when photographed, can form leading lines away from itself... if that makes sense.

Really nice set and I do like the color chaos as well as the b&w

You seem to have found your groove on Cityscapes and Lanscapes. Great job!
Thanks, much appreciated!
I like 3 and 4 the best and I prefer the B&W. The colors are nice and vibrant, but there's lots of distractions here and I think B&W cleans it up. A good thing about this shot is that the bus obscured the traffic light that cuts across the bridge in the other shots.
I don't know if you saw my Zakim thread, but I found this bridge to be a stubborn subject. I decided it has wonderful lines that, when photographed, can form leading lines away from itself... if that makes sense.

Really nice set and I do like the color chaos as well as the b&w
Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about that light. Can’t get close and avoid it without standing in the traffic so have to make the best of it. I don’t usually prefer b&w but that could explain why. I’ll have to look through my other bus trails.

I’ll look for your Zakim thread I think I missed it. It’s a pretty bridge but getting a good sight line can be difficult. They really need to do a photographer consult when they build these things. There’s a nice but very close view from where the water taxi stops (use Alcove Restaurant for GPS) and another from North Point park for sunrise and there’s a park underneath the bridge that I’ve shot from a few times. but unless you live in one of the nearby high rises, or drone into restricted space, it’s hard to get a good overview of the bridge.

Great set! I like the black/white over the color. The color one I see mostly the streak where the black/white I see more of the whole photo. Did you do a long exposure?

Very nice looking bridge. I am with Zulu on preferring the BW edit.
Thanks very much!
Very nice shots.....
Thank you…..
Great set! I like the black/white over the color. The color one I see mostly the streak where the black/white I see more of the whole photo. Did you do a long exposure?
Thanks Cheryl. The exposure time on the b&w was 10s. I was trying to time it for the bus coming by and when the cars a block away were stuck at the light so the light trails would only be horizontal. I have another one with crazy light trails that I’m still editing. It’s definitely in the abstract category.

Beautiful shots! I really like the first one because the bridge is more prominent with fewer car headlights and the colors in the sky are wonderful. I also like the B&W version. There is more detail in the buildings, and the streaks from the bus are less distracting. Very nice shots all.

A cold and windy sunset shoot in the city the other night. Been wanting to get this view of the Zakim for a while. Every time I drive by I admire it but there is no where to pull over. Finally arranged to meet a few friends in the North End then walk over here to this island in the middle of a busy intersection. These clouds hung on just long enough to keep it from being a total bust. A few of my favorites.

A wider look

A bus passing by. I like this one in b&w which isn’t typical for me. I’m posting both to see what you think works best.

At the end of blue hour
I like them better without the light streaks, none the less nice images--now, the important question: Did you try any of the great Italian restaurants in the North End?

Beautiful shots! I really like the first one because the bridge is more prominent with fewer car headlights and the colors in the sky are wonderful. I also like the B&W version. There is more detail in the buildings, and the streaks from the bus are less distracting. Very nice shots all.
Thanks Rob. Appreciate the feedback!
I like them better without the light streaks, none the less nice images--now, the important question: Did you try any of the great Italian restaurants in the North End?
Thanks! Pretty sure I’ve tried them all at this point. Have lived within 10 miles of the city most of my life.

Very nice set.

I like 1&2. 1 because of the focus on the bridge and car, but I don’t care for the tops of the cars. In 2, I like the full car and the headlights are cool :)

Nice job! All are good.

Most reactions

Back