March Milky Way Madness

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got some perfect conditions for milky way photos this past weekend - not a cloud in sight, milky way window 3 hours long with moon set over an hour before the core visibility and no breeze! Headed to Cape Cod with a few other MW chasers. Hiked out around the salt marsh to a different spot from last year. We got some great reflections at the beginning of the window. I love the early Milky Way season because it rises horizontal and close enough to reflect in the water. It was very cold at 3am and I was grateful for the hand warmers and winter boots. I was surprised to see only one other person out there as this is a popular spot due to accessible parking and dark skies but the middle of the night window and cold weather can keep people away. We did a round trip (2 hours each way) so left Boston area at midnight and got back around 7:30. I think the views were well worth the effort.

These are all single shots processed in LRC and Topaz Denoise. I have some stacking to do as soon as I have some time! Most taken with the Samyang 12mm f/2 but I also had the Fuji 14mm for a few.

Comments and critique always welcome.
Milky Way Madness 6 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Star bridge by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Boat house under the stars by SharonCat..., on Flickr

4 this one with the 14mm and cropped to get a bit closer
Milky Way Madness 3 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

You even caught a shooting star, (or airplane). Nice shots, too much light pollution and trees where I live to even see the MW, let alone get a shot.

You even caught a shooting star, (or airplane). Nice shots, too much light pollution and trees where I live to even see the MW, let alone get a shot.

Thank you. Not sure where you’re located but I’m near Boston so we usually have to drive 1-2 hours either up into the mountains or to the Maine or Cape beaches to get somewhere dark enough. Finding a good site that’s dark enough and has legal parking and access at night is 80% if the battle!

I can see why you are happy, those are great!

Thanks Nancy! When I make it out to YNP and GTNP next fall (2022) we’ll have to meet up for a night shoot.

Great photos Peg !!! I wish I could do it .. Did you take these shots with your x-t2 ? If I'd try to take them, do I need some special equipment ? For me I believe that it could be do-able with my Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8, some filters needed ? Some other stuff ? (questions are rhetorical, I don't wanna bother you with questions that are certainly answered thousands of time all over the internet)

Great photos Peg !!! I wish I could do it .. Did you take these shots with your x-t2 ? If I'd try to take them, do I need some special equipment ? For me I believe that it could be do-able with my Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8, some filters needed ? Some other stuff ? (questions are rhetorical, I don't wanna bother you with questions that are certainly answered thousands of time all over the internet)

Thank you. Yes I took these with the Xt2 and a Samyang 12mm f.2/. You could definitely use the Tokina 11-20 2.8. The only other thing you need is a tripod and the Photo Pills app. I don’t mind answering your questions but I’ve only been taking these about a year so I’m still learning and experimenting. A great starting point is the lonelyspeck.com website. They sell a lot of accessories which you don’t need but the beginner info on their site is free and excellent.

Reactions: ntz
Aye, the endeavour paid dividends. Great skies.

Great pics, all of them. I like #2 best, I feel can cross over and into the Milky Way ... maybe catch a ride on a falling star. :untroubled:

Brilliant!!!!

Thank you my friend!

These are great! Well worth getting up for 3am.

Thank you very much. As long as I have my disco nap beforehand, being out all night is not that bad. Of course I was useless the next day.

Thanks!

Great pics, all of them. I like #2 best, I feel can cross over and into the Milky Way ... maybe catch a ride on a falling star. :untroubled:

Thank you. I almost named it bridge to the stars but I resisted the urge lol.

Brilliant!!!!

Thank you my friend!

These are great! Well worth getting up for 3am.

Thank you very much. As long as I have my disco nap beforehand, being out all night is not that bad. Of course I was useless the next day.

Thanks!

Thank you. I almost named it bridge to the stars but I resisted the urge lol.

I would've liked it but on the other hand it would've sounded like something "TMZ" would say about their show, referring to Hollywood stars. ;)

These are all wonderful! I would love to try astrophotography but live in a crappy area for it due to light pollution (DC Metro area), even going out to the Shenandoah doesn't help much. I'm hoping to attempt something next time I'm visiting my friend in Omaha if the conditions are favourable.

Nicely done. I'm heading to some dark sky areas in Utah in a month or so. I hope I can get some MW shots as nice as yours.

Nicely done. I'm heading to some dark sky areas in Utah in a month or so. I hope I can get some MW shots as nice as yours.

Thanks! Oh I bet Utah will be amazing! Enjoy!

ps - have you checked your dates for moon cycle? Fingers crossed for a new moon or early moon set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back