Cityscape (Newcastle-Upon-Tyne).

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am not a cityscape photographer. But when we headed for the "Frozen Northlands" the other weekend, I thought that I would try my hand. I would appreciate any constructive critisism from anyone who knows what they are doing...

IMG_0971a.jpg

IMG_0979a.jpg

IMG_0980a.jpg

IMG_0993a.jpg

IMG_1003a.jpg

IMG_1007a.jpg

IMG_1016a.jpg

IMG_1034a.jpg

IMG_1042a.jpg

IMG_1064a.jpg

IMG_1062a.jpg

IMG_1025a.jpg

Technically the images are fine for the most part, some minor exposure issues, over-bright skies, et cetera, but it seems for the most part, I'm not seeing what you were. I think the concern I have with most of these images is that they're not wide enough; they rather give me the impression of being taken through a telephoto lens vice a wide-angle. For example, 1016A would be a much more appealing image to me if it were of a wider perspective, with the bridges not so rigidly centred.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

tis nigh on 22 years since i last cast eyes on this...
the Tyne...
New-Cassel and Gatesheed...
Changed a bit..
Nostalgia is not what it used to be... LOL
Did you get any pics of the 'Angel of the North'..?
Actually - I'm not a Geordie - more a Makkem an Takkem..
Sunderland...
But I went to the red-brick Uni in Newcastle... 5 long years...
Tears in me little eyes...
Thanks for the memory
Jedo

I found this a very enjoyable series...a nice overview of what the place looks like. You caught some nice reflections. And that's quite the interesting building in the third shot (what is it, a museum?)

Many thanks folks...

1016a is a shot from the centre of the Gateshead Millenium bridge along the Tyne. It takes in all the "Tyne Bridges" in the "Archtypicle" Geordie shot.
As you can see from the others I was having a play. I was attempting to show something "New" & "Different" about the "Typical" Tyne Bridges shot. with 1016a I tried just what every one else does and shot the scene along the Tyne , of All the bridges together. The only one missing was the Gateshead Millenium Bridge. That is because I was stood on the centre of it looking up river.. I had hoped to bring my own style to this "Everyone else has to do it , so I will too" shot. By using a 28mm lens at f8 (With a 400D (Rebel XTi) 1.6 X equivilent mag. This would equate the field of view with aproximately a 45mm lens on a full frame DSLR or a 35mm film SLR.

The building in the third shot is (I Believe ) an arts and performance venue.

The over bright skies I bow to. I did not take my Gray grad. And have kicked myself for not doing so. that would have been the icing (Frosting) on the cake. (A true pro would not have done that).

The depth/perspective , (on looking at it), does indeed look as if it were a "Normal" river But in truth the "Tyne Bridges" are VERY close together and of a huge Victorian Scale ( for those not familier with the Venue, The "Tyne Bridge is the green one , a model of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and is the closest by many yards). By building the smaller bridges at the rear (Upstream) and the bigger Bridges at the front (Downstream) it plays into the hands of anyone who wants to have a little fun with Perspective. And if composed carefully (I hope I succeeded ) Looks almost as if the deck of the bridge infront is sitting on the top of the bridge behind.

Most of the others are taken with the 17mm end of an EFS 17-85 As evidenced by the distortion at the peripheries (most of the buildings in the background slope either in or out wards depending on their relation to the vertical plane of the sensor. And the Tyne Bridge, I was less than an inch from the centre line but because of the wide angle it still "Wooshes of to the left"), except the Girl photographing the river as the musician goes unoticed, which was with an EF 50mm F1.4 at about f4.

hope this helps.

and thanks for the feed back.
Tim

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back