Clash of Cultures.

padaek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This woman was photographed at the local market selling her wares. She is tiny in stature, almost pixie like.

$IMG_0558 copy.jpg

What an amazing shot!

I'm actually not a huge fan of this simply because the cutoff of the poster is so sharp that it looks like two photos pasted above and below one another, rather than an actual single scene to me. Which obviously wouldn't be nearly as cool. Something as simple as having one corner of the poster visible with the normal wall shown up the side would help a lot, I think. Or if there were something moving across both parts, like if she had wares leaned on the wall.

I'm actually not a huge fan of this simply because the cutoff of the poster is so sharp that it looks like two photos pasted above and below one another, rather than an actual single scene to me. Which obviously wouldn't be nearly as cool. Something as simple as having one corner of the poster visible with the normal wall shown up the side would help a lot, I think. Or if there were something moving across both parts, like if she had wares leaned on the wall.

I see your point. I have pondered over this image a lot. Where the problem lies is the dividing line between the poster and the woman. It's actually a wall with a sill. This makes the dividing line between subject and poster so sharp. What is so interesting is the woman's positioning, right under a poster advertising a multinational women's product. Also, the area in which this was taken is quite a narrow walk way. I did a crop of the woman and her wares only. It didn't have the same impact. I could have softened the poster during post processing but this also wouldn't have had the same impact.

Or if there were something moving across both parts, like if she had wares leaned on the wall.

The problem with street candids is, you are very restricted by the subject him/herself, within their environment. You are totally at their mercy. To pose or change any elements in the image wouldn't constitute a candid. With this shot, I barely had time to compose and focus before she was off.

Sorry about the lengthy explanation.

Most reactions

Back