Differing Opinions on what makes a good photo......

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On September 9th I had a practice photoshoot at a local park. A lady friend volunteered to be a model in the photoshoot and I was honored to have her. I am not a professional photographer and I don't care to be. But I do like taking good photographs. During the photoshoot I took several bad pictures. Most of those where in the bright sunlight in a meadow. The pictures were washed out and I didn't spend much time in photoshop with them. I have been feeling down and sort of depressed lately. The washed out pictures didn't help much.

A few minutes ago I was directed to a Facebook post. The lady that I photographed posted 7 washed out meadow pictures on her timeline. Those are her favorite pictures and her friends and family are liking and complimenting her in the pics.

I thought I messed up the photoshoot with several bad pictures. Turns out that the pictures I thought were bad. Just happened to be someone else's favorite. It's unique to experience this.

Thank you for listening.

Lonnie

Maybe you judge your own work very technically and your friend and her friends just like her pose, her attitude or the surroundings and do not notice the techical details as you do.

Everyone has their own opinions on what they themselves find good or bad. I find the biggest compliments are often in the projects that everyone loves, though you yourself didn't see much worth in.
Some of the more prominent YouTube photographers I subscribe to, that I actually enjoy watching and learning from, I don't find their "portfolio worthy" photos to be all that great. I'm not a big fan of still life photos, (which is what they tend to be most of the time) though some can definitely stand out. In the end, your own opinion does matter and have value, but it's also nice having others see the greatness in your work as well, especially when you don't always see it yourself

I have had photos that I worked hard on and were just what I wanted, only to have a comp judge dismisses them as “bad” images.
these days if an image comes out how I wanted and I am happy with it.... well the others have their own thoughts
this is why when I give c&c here I state it’s only my thoughts and that the author/photographer can dismiss my ideas if they wish

I’m the same, shots I like are too dark for everyone else. I adjust exposure in post and everyone says oh much better and I’m thinking it’s ruined being washed out.

On September 9th I had a practice photoshoot at a local park. A lady friend volunteered to be a model in the photoshoot and I was honored to have her. I am not a professional photographer and I don't care to be. But I do like taking good photographs. During the photoshoot I took several bad pictures. Most of those where in the bright sunlight in a meadow. The pictures were washed out and I didn't spend much time in photoshop with them. I have been feeling down and sort of depressed lately. The washed out pictures didn't help much.

A few minutes ago I was directed to a Facebook post. The lady that I photographed posted 7 washed out meadow pictures on her timeline. Those are her favorite pictures and her friends and family are liking and complimenting her in the pics.

I thought I messed up the photoshoot with several bad pictures. Turns out that the pictures I thought were bad. Just happened to be someone else's favorite. It's unique to experience this.

Thank you for listening.

Lonnie
That's why they sell vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

I print a lot of what I would consider "bad" photographs at the lab everyday. You just never know what people will like.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post. It is good to hear your opinions and experiences.

I have gotten complements on photos, paintings and wood turnings that I know were really below par. Different strokes ...

I am my worst critic looking for every flaw, so much so that like the old saying "I can't see the forest for the trees". I tend to forget that the real value of a photograph is it's ability to evoke an emotion in the viewer. If it does that, technical issues don't matter.

Thank you for listening.

Lonnie
That reminds me of a story. I live in an ethnic neighborhood (Italian) and one of the reasons the neighborhood remains intact and retains it's ethnic character is food. The best restaurants in the city and delis selling expensive but "the best" meats and cheeses and oil and olives, etc. My last name is German, but I've learned to put an "i" at the end just so I can fit in.

I had a colleague at work who I discovered one day thought cheese was naturally orange. As I inquired further I discovered he had been raised on good old "American cheese" (Kraft) and that was pretty much all he knew. I decided I was going to broaden his experience and went to the deli. I spent over $60.00 on samples of the best: Fontinella, Fontina, Stilton, Caciocavallo, Gorgonzola, Manchego, Camembert, Feta, etc., and he hated them all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back