Cleaning the focusing screen.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have some dirt and lints on my focusing screen. I watched in youtube about cleaning it. It looked easy but I have a Canon T3i, and I don't know how to take the focusing screen off. Tips anyone?

Check the manual. Search YouTube for a video.

Perhaps the screen is non-removable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is not ok to use a cotton swab, because it will likely leave more lint than it picks up.

The mirror mechanism is pretty delicate, because it has to be light-weight so it can move so fast.

There is no good reason for using any kind of cleaning fluid inside the mirror box.

Something is seriously amiss if the mirror has more than just a very light amount of dust on it.

It is not ok to use a cotton swab, because it will likely leave more lint than it picks up.

The mirror mechanism is pretty delicate, because it has to be light-weight so it can move so fast.

There is no good reason for using any kind of cleaning fluid inside the mirror box.

Something is seriously amiss if the mirror has more than just a very light amount of dust on it.

I just use the same cloth I use to clean eye glasses, using a can of air can blow the dust deeper into the camera, unless you are really careful with it. There should be no need to remove the mirror. Follow what KmH has suggested.

I think it is a debating issue. I read in some other forums, and one guy said he uses cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol without any problem to clean mirror. I saw in youtube that he uses square swabs in individual wraps with cleaning solution to clean the mirror.
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; line-height: 19px; ">

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I recall the ground screen should never be "cleaned" as it is a finely etched surface. Blower Ok. Any rubbing/scrubbing device NO.

I have seen (in the past) many damaged ground screens from people who have cleaned it with a qtip, cloth or other ... only to leave permanent marks.

Be very careful. The internet is full of stories about focusing screens getting destroyed from 'cleaning'. IMO - if a bulb blower doesn't do the trick, learn to live with it.

Anything you can see on the focusing screen will never show in the pictures - it's just annoying having to see it all the time.

When the exposure is being made, the mirror and focusing screen are out of the light path.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back