Cleaning yourViewfinder?

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When I was using my camera yesterday I noticed that there was a small hair or piece of dust on my lens. So I tried cleaning it with a camera pen brush and lens blower, I just brushed and blew my filters and both sides of the lens and tried looking through the VF and the particle was still there. I then tried looking through the VF without the lens and it was there, so I guess my question is how would I clean/remove the particle? I don't want to pay for any camera cleaning service but I also don't want to damage my camera. The only thing I have tried on the camera body was using the lens blower on the VF eyepiece as well as the translucent screen (or the piece of glass directly above the mirror). I also did some research over Youtube and Google but nothing too helpful :S! Any advice or suggestions would be awesome, also if it helps at all my camera is a Nikon D3100.

6745421575_002d3cfbdc_b.jpg

Thanks
0ptics

Last edited:
Is it showing up in pictures? If you can't see it in the pictures, I wouldn't think it's a huge deal one way or the other.

BTW, your link didn't work. Take the spaces out of the
to make it work.

If you can see it, and it isn't on the lens, then it isn't on the sensor either. Most likely it's on the focusing screen. Usually a shot of air from a blower buld (**NOT** canned or compressed air) will move it out of the way.

If its on the mirror you might be able to use a blower to simply blow it off - the mirror should appear whenever you simply remove a lens from the camera. Don't touch the mirror itself - just use a clean air blower to remove the idem (eg the rocket blower).

If the hair is on the viewfinder eyecup then just the blower again, I've also found that a mini lens pen is also good for cleaning this item.

There is also the chance that the object is up in the mirrorbox - if this is the case a blower might have luck removing it, but chances are you won't be able to safely get to it without risking damage to the camera. A proper repair/cleaning service would be able to remove it. However note many times objects like this can clear themselves

I had the same problem. The hair was on the mirror. I just blew into it and it came off rather easily.

Is it showing up in pictures? If you can't see it in the pictures, I wouldn't think it's a huge deal one way or the other.

BTW, your link didn't work. Take the spaces out of the
to make it work.

Ya it definitely isn't appearing in my shoots (which is great), but it still kinda annoys me and I'd really prefer to get it removed/cleaned. Oh and haha thanks!

If you can see it, and it isn't on the lens, then it isn't on the sensor either. Most likely it's on the focusing screen. Usually a shot of air from a blower buld (**NOT** canned or compressed air) will move it out of the way.

Ya its not on the sensor nor the lens, I tried use the lens blowers directly on the mirror and the translucent screen, but unfortunately it's still there at the SAME location :/...

If its on the mirror you might be able to use a blower to simply blow it off - the mirror should appear whenever you simply remove a lens from the camera. Don't touch the mirror itself - just use a clean air blower to remove the idem (eg the rocket blower).

If the hair is on the viewfinder eyecup then just the blower again, I've also found that a mini lens pen is also good for cleaning this item.

There is also the chance that the object is up in the mirrorbox - if this is the case a blower might have luck removing it, but chances are you won't be able to safely get to it without risking damage to the camera. A proper repair/cleaning service would be able to remove it. However note many times objects like this can clear themselves

Ya tried the lens blower and wouldn't dare to touch anything inside, ya tried cleaning it with the pen/blower on the VF eyecup as well but still there. You might be right about the "mirrorbox", I dont know what that is but I'll check it out and hopefully not have to pay a service to remove the particle...

Most reactions

Back