Cleared and Stained Fish

Malavok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I lived in Austin, I worked at UT's natural history collections in the ichthyology department. They recruited me to photograph our cleared and stained fish collection. Here are some of my favorite shots from that.

These are all for the Fishes of Texas Project database, which is hosted by UT's Biodiversity Collections:
www.fishesoftexas.org

I used an old, rickety light box and a D5200 with a Tamron 90mm. It was often a frustrating process because the specimens are stored in glycerin, which would inevitably get all over my hands, clothes, and the light box.

Reddish colors are bone and bluish colors are cartilage (not always 100% perfect but most of these are pretty high quality stains).

Species names are included for most of them, if you're curious!

Antennarius radiosus:
mfzQAtW.jpg

Peprilus burti:
RxnB24W.jpg

Etheostoma lepidum:
PXA8ZOB.jpg

Strongylura marina:
YtO4VqT.jpg

Narcine bancroftii:
AXH5gtn.jpg

Centrarchus macropterus:
6j9a0cD.jpg

Oligoplites saurus:
Qotchqh.jpg

Don't know the species for this one:
9dpquBO.jpg

Bagre marinus:
qw4eeZ6.jpg

Lepomis megalotis:
KkHFa0l.jpg

Last edited:
So neat!!

There is something you don't see every day. Very interesting and colorful. Thanks for sharing them.

Very fun to look at! Thank you for posting these.

When I lived in Austin, I worked at UT's natural history collections in the ichthyology department. They recruited me to photograph our cleared and stained fish collection. Here are some of my favorite shots from that.

These are all for the Fishes of Texas Project database, which is hosted by UT's Biodiversity Collections:
www.fishesoftexas.org

I used an old, rickety light box and a D5200 with a Tamron 90mm. It was often a frustrating process because the specimens are stored in glycerin, which would inevitably get all over my hands, clothes, and the light box.

Reddish colors are bone and bluish colors are cartilage (not always 100% perfect but most of these are pretty high quality stains).

Species names are included for most of them, if you're curious!

Antennarius radiosus: (Single spot Frogfish) Atlantic
mfzQAtW.jpg

Peprilus burti: (Gulf butterfish) Saltwater Gulf of Mexico
RxnB24W.jpg

Etheostoma lepidum: Greenthroat Darter, freshwater Texas
PXA8ZOB.jpg

Strongylura marina: (Atlantic needlefish)
YtO4VqT.jpg

Narcine bancroftii: Caribbean or lesser electric ray
AXH5gtn.jpg

Centrarchus macropterus: (Flier-type of Sunfish, Freshwater, Southeastern US
6j9a0cD.jpg

Oligoplites saurus: Leather Jack, Saltwater, Atlantic Gulf of Mexico Pacific Indian Oceans
Qotchqh.jpg

Don't know the species for this one:
9dpquBO.jpg

Bagre marinus: Gafftopsail Catfish, Saltwater Atlantic and connected American continental waters. Venomous spines
qw4eeZ6.jpg

Lepomis megalotis: Longear Sunfish
KkHFa0l.jpg

Added some common name and locality information, because I was curious and wanted to share.

Thanks for posting! I went to the website, and would never in a million years, have figured out how to find these, nor even known that they existed :)

This is super cool! The fish and your photos! :)

Thanks for posting them. :)

Most reactions

Back