clerk sprayed lens cleaner directly on new lens... should i be concerned?

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a local camera chain store to buy my new sigma wide angle (10-20 f.4). Big deal for me since its the first lens i bought since getting my canon t2i.

While checking it out and discussing UV filters with the clerk i noticed dust on the lens, on the glass and on the area around the glass. So i asked if he could clean it before putting the UV filter on (which i was buying at the same time).

he proceeded to grab a small spray bottle of lens cleaner, he sprayed the lens which was sitting on the counter and pointed at the ceiling. I watched the liquid run down the curvature of the glass and collect at the base while he went and got a cloth which made me cringe a little on the inside. I just figured he knows what hes doing. He cleaned it up with a little microfiber cloth and it looked fine but after doing a quick google and seeing that you should "never spray directly on the lens" a couple times I am wondering if i should be concerned.

would it seep into the enclosure?

can i look for any evidence of this?

Unless he really hosed it down, and let it set for a while... you probably don't need to worry too much! Not really the best practice, but it happens. I don't let anyone else but "me" clean my lenses! lol!

ya im probably a little over cautious cause its the most ive spent on photography yet, but thats what i needed to hear... thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems. However, I prefer to clean my own lenses by first blowing the dust off with a blower, lightly brush the lens casing off (if I've been in a dusty area), then spray cleaner, or even a couple of drops of water, on a soft cloth. I never directly spray on the glass itself.

ya im probably a little over cautious cause its the most ive spent on photography yet, but thats what i needed to hear... thanks!

Just wait until you buy your first $1000+ lens.
or two of them together... :lol:

No, you don't need to worry about your lens. What you do need to worry about though is that you're buying gear from a store which hires people who know so little about something as basic as cleaning a lens. First a little dust will not hurt the image in any way, BUT, I totally understand your wanting to clean it. If a couple of puffs with a Giottos Rocket or similar didn't do the trick than a *huff* of breath and a couple of fresh sheets of lens tissue are all that are needed. In 30+ years of photography, I've NEVER used any so-called "lens cleaning" solution.

I normally find a few puffs with a Rocket Blower clears most stuff - the remaining is often then only needing a brush to be removed (I tend to use a lenspen brush these days though most camera cleaning kits come with a suitable brush). Just try not to touch the brush itself to avoid getting oils from your fingers on the brush itself.

And also, as said above, remember that most specks of dust won't ever appear in your shots at all. Keeping gear clean is a good policy but don't get crazed about it

I just figured he knows what hes doing.
Why, because he's getting paid $8/hr to work the sales desk at a camera store?

But yes, I agree with what's been said...probably nothing to worry about.

if there is no sand or mineral dust on the lens or the cloth, there should be no problem whatsoever. Today's front glass of the lenses is pretty hard and well coated to withstand alot. I usually use my breath plus a cloth only, but if something really smeary got. onto the lens I might use any kind of lens cleaning liquid as well ... also on really expensive glass. I never experienced any problems whatsoever. If the liquid is quickly removed or evaporates, then there will be no damage.Doing that for more than two decades now. Never any problems at all. My only damage occured on a 200 USD filter when it was blown onto a rock in heavy storm, but that is an altogether different issue ;)

Cleaning lenses does more harm than good, the front element can be caked in dirt and even if you're shooting at f/22 you won't notice the slightest difference.

on the up side he could have spit on it

Lens cleaning solution is useful when a lens has a greasy goobery finger print on it, or when it is has airborne contaminants on it. And there are two contaminants that almost demand lens cleaning solution: 1) airborne tree sap from the spring of the year, which is a serious PITA to remove without a lens cleaning solution, and 2) airborne grease particles from cooking (deep frying).

With the tree sap and the airborne grease, the lens cleaner will help cut through it, and allow you to do a LOT less "mechanical" cleaning, which means using far fewer passes or circles with lens tissue or a cloth, which basically tend to smear these two substances around and around and around.

I used Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue up until about 2002, when I got my first microfiber cleaning cloths, and I have not gone back to the tissue. I prefer the microfiber cleaning cloth method over traditional methods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back