Close up pic: getting everything in focus

DriedStrawbery

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Challenge: This is a close up shot in a dimly lit train museum, subject inside a *glass* case :) How to get everything in focus?

I remember reading about a composite of a set of images where maybe each train below can be in focus and a pic taken.

Does anyone have info on how to do this? Are the multiple pics to be taken from same position? That would mean, we setup manual focus and focus each train (at different distances) and shoot images and stack them..>?

IMG_7426.jpg

Last edited:
Search the term "focus stacking" there's lots of software (much of it free) which makes this relatively easy, but yes, the key is an in-focus image of each shot from the same position (tripod) and then combined in software.

Challenge: This is a close up shot in a dimly light train museum, subject inside a *glass* case :) How to get everything in focus?

First thing is overcoming reflections in the glass. I've used a polarizing filter with decent results, but frankly had never even thought about some of the tips mentioned in this article. Now I'm anxious to try them out. Tips for Minimizing Reflections When Photographing Through Windows

Does anyone have info on how to do this? Are the multiple pics to be taken from same position? That would mean, we setup manual focus and focus each train (at different distances) and shoot images and stack them..

In answer to your question, yes multiple images are taken from the same location. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. One is to lock your camera securely on a tripod take a succession of shots changing the focus point between shots. A Beginner's Guide to Focus Stacking. I've done it this way, and it will work, but for more precision I prefer a focus rail. You can pickup an inexpensive one on fleabay like this that works unless you plan on "extreme" stacking Pro Version 4 Way Macro Shot Focusing Focus Rail Metal Slider For DSLR Camera US | eBay With a focus rail you set your focus on a point then either either turn the knob on the rail to move the camera forward or backward between shots, which precisely changes the focus point as if you'd adjusted the focus in camera. Another good reference Using Focus Stacking to Extend Depth of Field

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As mentioned above, focus stacking is the best way to handle this. Otherwise f22 and a sturdy tripod will perhaps do it.

Most reactions

Back