Clothing Shoot for book cover

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Long story short. Fiber Artist sent a piece of clothing from overses, that took a very long time to make to a family member. Before sending it, she didnt get to have it photographed.

So I was asked to do it, I agreed. She would now like it to be her book cover. Question is I havent done fashion/clothing photography. I am looking for ideas, should I just photograph it flat? I have access to a mannequin, but for a book cover I was thinking that would look odd. I guess I am used to people and want to see some kind of depth where as a flat garment will have virtually none. Let me know if I am on the right track here. The item is a felt jacket, thin material.

Have you asked the artist what they desire for their book cover?

Have you asked the artist what they desire for their book cover?

Yes, should hear back in the morning. I sent that email off a few hours ago, its the wee hours in the morning over there currently. In a nutshell I asked what she envisioned, she has a few books, but none have her clothing on the cover. She may already know what she wants, but I was curious what people thoughts were.

Last edited:
A flat piece of clothing on a table or something seems like a pretty boring book cover...

If it were my book, I think I would want someone to be wearing it. Not my book though, so find out what she had envisioned for it.

Without seeing the item *shrug*.

Being felted, are there cool details and textures to pick up to do a close shot of just a section of the piece, or is the form of the garment most important for a cover? My first thought was going with detail.

I'd love to see the item, I took felting/fiber arts in school and rather enjoyed it.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems borning and bland. I just know the family member that received it WOULD NOT model for the cover. But I will try to convince her anyway if thats what the Artist wants.

I will see it tomorrow, and post some. The piece is nunofelted and is quite thin from what I hear. I have taken photographs of a couple of felted hats that were displayed in another book. The texture is really neat. These hats were wet felted and formed. These werent the ones from the book, but same styles.

p71358436-4.jpg

p479564346-4.jpg

Have you asked the artist what they desire for their book cover?​

Most reactions

Back