Where should the line be drawn with child photographs?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CThomas817, Mar 1, 2019.

1. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Of course I did and I appreciate the feedback, but you said that you didn't understand why I would share this publicly. I was simply explaining why. It's a work sample.

2. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Your original post never mentioned legal trouble. You were asking for personal feelings and opinions, emotional support, from others regarding the appropriateness of the photos being posted publicly. You seem to be very confused and at odds with yourself because you are listening to others and using their opinions to justify something you're uncomfortable with. If you were comfortable, you wouldn't have started the thread. That's why I suggested you do what your internal compass is telling you to do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do first birthday cake smashes where most babies are topless. I have to share some of those photos in order to attract the client who needs that type of photography service. This shoot to me was no different in intent. I wanted others opinions on it from an ethical perspective, ie. can I get into trouble for this?

4. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not confused about anything and I am not uncomfortable with the photos in any shape or form. My comfort or lack thereof is independent of a legal system's interpretation of what these photos are about. If there are no potential legal ramifications, I would confidently repost them. I am proud of the images and stand by their innocence. I mentioned in my original post that I received a comment about child services having an issue with this. Is that not legal trouble? I have worked with the department of children and families in my state for over 8 years, and I can assure you that if they come knocking, it's because they suspect you are breaking the law. And yes, I asked for opinions about appropriateness and I did ask if I misjudged the situation by assuming there was nothing (legally) wrong with the images. Asking for others opinions and receiving them does not mean I have changed mine. My own feelings about the photos remain the same as the day I posted them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, thank you.

6. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

OK. Glad that's settled. I'm sorry if I didn't understand where you were going with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonFZ300

JonFZ300 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Again, I don't find them offensive or provocative and you made no mention in the OP about being a professional and using these for portfolio, and I don't see a link to your portfolio site either. So to me, (and I'm pretty new here) it seemed like you took some really nice photos of your child, uploaded them to social media and people were upset. I still think in this day and age, if there's a doubt at all, don't post them.

Edit: I went back and read and my first edit was erroneous. It sounds like you should consult a lawyer or look up the child endangerment laws if you're worried about legal trouble, instead of asking random people on a forum.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanOstergren

DanOstergren TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Ask a lawyer dude. I'm simply giving you the input that you were requesting. Now I find myself wondering why I even responded in the first place. :icon_rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2