Club photography

Chiller

Mental case
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got hired to shoot a band next weekend, and the club is not well lit. The band itself is very dark, dress in black and only use a few lights. I have seen some images from this band, and they use a lot of red and blue lights.
I was thinkin of renting a lens to shoot with too, as I dont really have a fast enough lens for this type of work, but was wondering what might work.
If anyone with any experience can shed some light(no pun intended) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :D

How close will you be? Seems like every system has a cheap fast 50mm these days (the Pentax is f/1.4 and under $200, I know there's a Canon f/1.8 under $100, and I'm sure there's some Nikon equivalent. I just got an old Pentax f/2 for $21 with a film SLR attached). One of these might be worth just buying if the focal length is right. Otherwise something like an f/2 or 2.8 zoom rental is probably the way to go (again, unsure what system we're talking about).

exposure comp. will be a life saver!

i just got back from mexico,, i had to shoot some really cool caves. alot of trial and error but worth the blood sweat and tears

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will have access to the stage, and possibly on it. (sides and so on) I have a 50mm 1.8, and Im shooting with Canon XTI, and XT, so I can keep a lens on both cams. One of my concerns is getting a shot of the drummer and I dont think the 50mm will cut it.
Thanks again for your help.

Canon 50mm F1.8 on the XT

and buy/rent a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 for the XTI :)

and ull need a 430ex and bounce it off the ceiling if its low, or off the stage floor sometimes work, you can point it directly at the artist as well for sme fun effects

and try take some longer exposure shots to drag the light

hey chiller.

the lens i use most is an 85/1.4, and a 50/1.4 when my arms get tired. for light, bands are always real dark, so i bring up to four strobes and place them on stage or gorillapod them to the ceiling. don't count on being able to bounce light - i've never seen a ceiling that wasn't black or close to it in a venue.

to give you a rough idea, i often shoot between ISO 200-640, i usually ignore shutter speed and try and get an aperture of f4-8. without flash, around ISO 1250, wide open.

i kind of like this one.. no flash with an 85/1.4 @1.4, on a D80 ISO 1250
2475926971_c12d58256d.jpg

set-72157605223397746

Thanks again for your replies. Much apprecaited.
Not sure how high the ceiling is in this place, but for sure I will bring the flash along.
I was suggested bring coloured "gels" to hang over the flash for some strange effects. :confused:
Great shot Notelliot. I was concerned about going with a higher ISO, cause of the grain in the dark areas, but yours looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks again. :D

If you are looking at renting, you might want to try the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM.

Wi th a lens that does F/2.8, it takes so nice shallow DOF shots. At F/1.8, its VERY thin and at F/1.4... we are talking a razor thin DOF... I can only speculate how thin a lens that does F/1.2 does.

My point... make sure you have at least 500 shots of practice in low light environment before using it live. You wan to not ave any last second surprises.

Thanks so much for your info. Appreciate it.
Jerry...I can see what ya mean man. I might lose some stuff with the 1.8. Good idea on the practice shots too. I might set up some of my halloween lighting system and play around a bit, see what comes out of it.
That was kinda my idea with running the two cams, just in case. I hate to be switching lenses in a dark club too. :er:

What flash is it? If it's a Canon, take it regardless, you'll need it. Turn flash fire off in the cf menu so that the flash won't fire, but you'll still get the benefit of the focus assist.

Some lenses like the 50mm f/1.8 are crap for shooting in the dark. They'll sit there and just hunt for focus unless you either manuall focus or have something to assist it with.

Thanks for your reply. VI. Unfortunatly, the only flash I have, is this Sunpak PZ40x . It only swivels one way and not side to side.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-PZ40X-Power-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000BY48TE
Sorry about the cheapo link, go that in a pinch for pic reasons. I was thinking of focusing manually, cause of the movement in the band. They dont stand in one spot. I apprecaite you taking the time to comment.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back