coin spinning: round 2

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
here is another batch of some spinning coins, i tried to get some more action in them

here are some in b and w without much action

coin1.jpg

bwcoin2.jpg

and here are some spinning ones

coin3.jpg

coin5.jpg

i can get it from the camera...

all were taken with a d70

1. 1/400
f/2.8
50mm
iso 1600

2. 1/400
f/3.2
50mm
iso 1600

3. 1/25
f/11
50mm
iso 1600

4. 1/40
f/9
50mm
iso 1600

Interesting concept, but I think you'll have to experiment with it a bit more to yield a great shot. i'd try playing with medium shutter speeds, around 1/100 so you get some blur to show the motion but not too much. I'd try using a bit more light so you can turn down the ISO and wipe out some of the graininess. And I'd probably stick with Apertures in the 4.5 range so the coin is in focus but the background isn't. Lastly, i'd crop out much of the background. That's just my $0.02.

andreag5 said:
i3. 1/25
f/11
50mm
iso 1600

4. 1/40
f/9
50mm
iso 1600

Andrea good job, couple pointers. Since you obviously wanted to slow the shutter down to show movement, you were stopping the lens to F/11 and F/9, you could have just lowered ISO to A) keep noise down B) require the longer shutter like you wanted. Also, if you want motion blur but still want to preserve the clarity of the actual coin, try a 2nd curtain flash.

Jon K said:
Andrea good job, couple pointers. Since you obviously wanted to slow the shutter down to show movement, you were stopping the lens to F/11 and F/9, you could have just lowered ISO to A) keep noise down B) require the longer shutter like you wanted. Also, if you want motion blur but still want to preserve the clarity of the actual coin, try a 2nd curtain flash.

yea i just put it in shutter priority and let it go...and what is a 2nd curtain flash?

andreag5 said:
yea i just put it in shutter priority and let it go...and what is a 2nd curtain flash?

Its a setting that fires the flash at the end of the exposure rather than beginning, its good for showing motion blur yet still have a still subject. So if the exposure were 3 seconds, instead of "FLASH...2.....3..." it goes "1....2....FLASH..3"

Most reactions

Back