Cokin P filter holder question

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to purchase a P filter holder for some grad ND filters, and had a quick question about compatibility before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

The item linked here @ B&H indicates that it is a 58mm adaptor ring- does this mean that the thread size on the end of my lens needs to be 58mm to use this filter? I'm just making sure I understand the sizing they've used here...

Also, any comments on this product, or the P-holders in general? I can spend more than that on the filters (and will certainly get some more ND filters anyway) that seemed like a lot less than I had thought it would be...

thanks,

The Cokin system has 3 basic parts. The filters themselves, the filter holder and the adapter ring. That kit comes with a 58mm adapter ring, so yes, you would attach that to lenses with 58mm filter threads. If you are going to be using a lens with a different filter diameter, then you may want a different sized adapter ring.

That being said, it's probably better to get a larger sized adapter ring and get a step up ring for the lens. In your case, I would go ahead and get the kit with the 58mm ring, and then get a 52-58mm step up ring, to use the filters on your 50mm lens. Alternatively, you could get a second Cokin adapter ring in the 52mm size.

Sounds good- thanks for confirming that info about the size. I actually already have a 52-->58 because I have a 58 CPOL that I use on both lenses I have, so I'll definitely be getting a 58mm ring then.

Is the quality of the P-series Cokin filters OK? Just seems odd that I shelled out $100 for a good CPOL, but it's much less for this filter AND the holder...

does this mean that the thread size on the end of my lens needs to be 58mm to use this filter?
Yes, and it won't fit your 50mm lens.

I got a 3 pack of GND filter, 121s/l/m. Haven't hardly used it yet.... waiting for the right conditions........ instead of missing them for the last month.

Is the quality of the P-series Cokin filters OK? Just seems odd that I shelled out $100 for a good CPOL, but it's much less for this filter AND the holder...
A CPL is a lot more complicated than a Cokin (square) ND filter...and the holder is just a piece of molded plastic...so don't think that anything is wrong with that kit because of it's low price.
It may not be the best quality filter...but it should be adequate. The 'P' represents the size...not the quality of the filter itself...I'm sure you could find some $100 Cokin P filters...if that's what you want :lol:

A CPL is a lot more complicated than a Cokin (square) ND filter...and the holder is just a piece of molded plastic...so don't think that anything is wrong with that kit because of it's low price.
It may not be the best quality filter...but it should be adequate. The 'P' represents the size...not the quality of the filter itself...I'm sure you could find some $100 Cokin P filters...if that's what you want :lol:

Ha... not quite my motivation... just learned quickly that you get what you pay for, in photography equipment... and most everything else too.

I'm going to get that kit- traveling to Zion NP for a few days at the end of this week, so hopefully I can post some with and without pictures up here.

Thanks for the input- and also the two of you who both pointed out it won't work directly with my 50mm... I have a step-up though, so that should do the trick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back