Collapsible backgrounds

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone ever used collapsible backgrounds like these?

I have a little bit more space in my home after moving a couple weeks ago, but I still don't have enough room for something like a semi-permanent installation to support seamless paper or muslin. I think this would let me set up a "studio" at different places in the house, or even outside, pretty much whenever I wanted, without taking up a bunch of space. I might even be able to use the white side as a reflector for outdoor shots.

Any thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks like it would only work for 3/4 shots or tighter. It doesn't go to the ground so you couldn't do a full length or a group shot etc.
Might make a good reflector though.

I wouldn't even try that thing outdoors. A butterfly flapping it's wings would be enough to blow that thing over.

If you want a portable background, try something like THIS and then use a fabric backdrop.

I've read a number of user reviews of these on a couple other sites. Here's what I've gathered from buyers of these rounded-corner, Chinese-made panels. #1, they flop like fish whenever there's any wind because they are designed to "collapse",and there really is no firm, rigid corner where force can be stabilized/terminated. #2 As backgrounds, the cut-off corners are less-desirable than squared corners. #3 when joining two panels together, the rounded corners create a large gap.

My thought: go with the traditional square-cornered design on panels that you build yourself out of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Look into it. I've build numerous panels over the years with nothing more than a hacksaw and tape measure. A large panel takes up very little space when it's dissassembled into its component pipe pieces.

One of my studio secrets is a rolling laundry stand, and available at WalMart or other retailers...I have one old one that is hollow, slip-joint steel pipe, and which comes apart for storage. It has a four-wheel castor base, and is larger,and taller, than those panels...it can be used to suspend a large panel, or to hold a crossbar for fabrics. and these are affordable, at the right retailers.

I've used on that was 10' tall, 7' wide and had a "cape" (for lack of a better term) attached to it that draped on the ground 10' in front of the subject. I was shooting a "wacky bike jersey" contest for someone, and he left it there for me to use. Worked great (indoors) and folded up into a 2' circular package.

Here is a shot with it, straight out of the camera.

It looks like it would only work for 3/4 shots or tighter. It doesn't go to the ground so you couldn't do a full length or a group shot etc.

Point taken, and I'm aware of that restriction. Portraits would only be one use for them for me. There are several times when I'm taking still-life or something that I'd really prefer to get a more neutral background on, but can't find a good angle with a blank wall or something. So really I'm just looking for something quick-and-dirty to throw behind whatever I'm shooting.

I wouldn't even try that thing outdoors. A butterfly flapping it's wings would be enough to blow that thing over.
they flop like fish whenever there's any wind because they are designed to "collapse",and there really is no firm, rigid corner where force can be stabilized/terminated.

You're both right, so maybe it's not quite as versatile as I was thinking. It would probably need to stay indoors.

If you want a portable background, try something like THIS and then use a fabric backdrop.

That's a good example of something I don't have room for. I mean I understand it doesn't have to be set up at the full 20' width, but even at half that width, I just don't have the space. It would definitely be more versatile, but I'm not sure it suits my needs right now.

#2 As backgrounds, the cut-off corners are less-desirable than squared corners. #3 when joining two panels together, the rounded corners create a large gap.

Good points, but not something I'm too concerned about. All you have to do to avoid the corners is crop a little tighter, or worst-case, clone in the edges in post. And I don't plan on using any side-by-side.

My thought: go with the traditional square-cornered design on panels that you build yourself out of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Look into it. I've build numerous panels over the years with nothing more than a hacksaw and tape measure. A large panel takes up very little space when it's dissassembled into its component pipe pieces.

One of my studio secrets is a rolling laundry stand, and available at WalMart or other retailers...I have one old one that is hollow, slip-joint steel pipe, and which comes apart for storage. It has a four-wheel castor base, and is larger,and taller, than those panels...it can be used to suspend a large panel, or to hold a crossbar for fabrics. and these are affordable, at the right retailers.

Y' know, I hadn't considered the DIY-route. That's certainly something I should look in to.

I think I'm trying to do too much with too little. We have a roughly 11' x 11' room in our house that will be a nursery in November, but it's also doubling as my home office. We're planning on building a temporary wall to close off 1/4 of the room for that purpose, leaving the rest usable as a nursery.

Yesterday evening I noticed that the light coming through the windows in that room was really nice, so I set up a small stuffed animal as a model and was practicing my direct sunlight/fill flash techniques. It was working fine, but the angle that put the sun at camera-right put the crib in the background, and since it's such a small room I couldn't get rid of it using DOF alone.

So this morning I started thinking that if I could rig something up that could be used as a background that I could quickly set up or take down that could basically hide the crib, then I could make that room (well, part of it) in to a bit of a studio. So I was just thinking quick-and-easy, without much thought towards longevity.

Maybe I should tie up a clothesline between the temporary wall and the permanent wall and hang some bedsheets or something. :meh:

I've used on that was 10' tall, 7' wide and had a "cape" (for lack of a better term) attached to it that draped on the ground 10' in front of the subject. I was shooting a "wacky bike jersey" contest for someone, and he left it there for me to use. Worked great (indoors) and folded up into a 2' circular package.

Yeah, I've seen those. They're a little pricier, but the train would be pretty useful if I went that route.

I mean I understand it doesn't have to be set up at the full 20' width,....
12 feet is the max width, not 20'.

A 10' x 20' backdrop is 10 feet wide and 20 long with most of that 20' being on the floor under the subject.

I mean I understand it doesn't have to be set up at the full 20' width,....
12 feet is the max width, not 20'.

A 10' x 20' backdrop is 10 feet wide and 20 long with most of that 20' being on the floor under the subject.

Oops! :lol: Total brain fart. At any rate, I can't fit it in the space I have.

Here's a stupid question - would something like a closet rod with flanges be sturdy enough to support a muslin sheet? How heavy is that stuff?

We used the collapsible backgrounds for school and daycare portraits because they fit into our luggage and was cheaper than shipping the canvas backgrounds around the country. They are handy for indoor, 3/4 or head shots. They tend to be thin so don't set it up against a window.

My stands are 1" pvc pipe, 8' high and 10' wide. Out doors they would need to be staked. Indoors they break down and go into a laundry bag.

Most reactions

Back