College Soccer-- "Breaking Through"

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's one from yesterdays game. Comments and Critiques please!

Win-1.jpg

The action is there but I would crop it into a horizontal and take out all the foreground to the first players feet,and a crop just overtop of the ball.

I left the foreground so there was something leading up to the players.

It's not necessary to have anything leading up to the players, it is just empty space that takes away from the action, try cropping it the way I suggested and you will see what I mean.

Anyone else?

Anyone else? Is that like, anyone else have a better crop/idea/comment?

What is "ttt"

As in one opinion is not a very good consensus. So more appropriately, does anyone ELSE have a DIFFERENT crop/idea/comment.

And ttt is take to top....

So i'd appreciate if you weren't so rude. Thank you.

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to rude, what I was giving you was a crop suggestion from someone who has been a professional sports photographer for over 35 years. If anyone else had a better suggestion on how to crop your photo to make it look better, I would also love to hear it. You asked for a critique and I gave you an honest one, if you're not willing to listen to a professional, just keep shooting loose, keep the big empty space in the foreground that serves no purpose, it does not lead to the players, it takes away from the players.

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to rude, what I was giving you was a crop suggestion from someone who has been a professional sports photographer for over 35 years. If anyone else had a better suggestion on how to crop your photo to make it look better, I would also love to hear it. You asked for a critique and I gave you an honest one, if you're not willing to listen to a professional, just keep shooting loose, keep the big empty space in the foreground that serves no purpose, it does not lead to the players, it takes away from the players.

I realize that, but a crop suggestion is one of the many factors of a photo. I'm not saying your crop is bad, but i'm saying i could use critiques on the other technical aspects of the shot.

Winninger.jpg

The crop is much better.

What other technical aspects? I said the action is there. I could have added that the exposure is fine, it's in focus, I would have photoshopped out the white mass (looks like a jacket in the background), also the white post in the background could easily be removed. The ball is in the picture, although perhaps a tiny bit late. Soccer is tough to shoot, it's a good shoot, I suggested a way to make it a much better one.

Just one more small suggestion, and this comes from the news side, photo editors don't like square photos, if you cropped it right at the bottom of the players feet and just over the ball, making it less square.

I have to agree... the crop is much better.. and Imagemaker's suggestion about using a non-square crop would be better yet. I would move the crop over a bit.. to the edge of the player on the left, and bring the ball back in frame more if it is possible. Looks pretty good otherwise (again, imagemaker covered the little things as well!)

Thank you. And on a side note, the coach just asked me if i was interested in traveling with the team and being the photographer.

Thank you both for your help, and it looks like you will be seeing many more photo's in the future!

Most reactions

Back