Color difference?

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im trying to figure out why when I import a photo into Lightroom 2 the colors or maybe WB are off??

I shoot in RAW and i just noticed the color setting was sRGB.... should i just change it on the camera to Adobe RGB??

sRGB is fine, I use lightroom also.

RAW images are geared to pick up the detail, they still need to be developed! You need to sharpen and increase your saturation, these can even be set to be done automatically upon import. The beauty about shooting raw is you have all the data there to work with and any changes you make can be undone.

Scott Bourne said in one of his podcasts: Another tip is that if you’re shooting in RAW then you don’t need to boost the saturation in camera as you can do that when you process the RAW file but if you are shooting in JPEG and want to bake that in that you do.

So its normal for a picture to be brighter and more saturated on your cameras display then when you just important to lightroom? I would of thought if anything you would atleast get the picture in lightroom that you saw on your cameras display.

for example my profile picture on my cameras display was much warmer then what is shown here.

Im trying to figure out why when I import a photo into Lightroom 2 the colors or maybe WB are off??
Off...compared to what?

for example my profile picture on my cameras display was much warmer then what is shown here.
Don't use your camera's display for judging the color of an image.

The color space you have set on your camera, doesn't matter when you shoot RAW. Before processing, a RAW images doesn't really have a color space. Lightroom, as a default, processes images in ProPhotoRGB because it's a wide gamut color space. When you export images from LR, you choose which color space you want it exported as.

You're probably seeing the JPG preview before the RAW file fully loads. There are settings you can change in your RAW import settings to bring the saturation or whatever back up as it imports the files, but in my experience it's better to go on a case by case basis. I spent a good 2 hours Googling this when I first started using Lightroom, and it is a common question. I set up a few User presets with my most common adjustments (a bump in Saturation/Contrast/Blacks/Curves etc.) and use them when importing a batch with similiar lighting conditions, and you can even go the other way and do a batch export using a preset. Lightroom has lots of ways to deal with processing your photos. Don't be discouraged, having that sort of control over your images is part of shooting RAW, it's not a bad thing!

So its normal for a picture to be brighter and more saturated on your cameras display then when you just important to lightroom? I would of thought if anything you would atleast get the picture in lightroom that you saw on your cameras display.

Not really, lightroom shows the settings as specified in the EXIF data as set by the picture. However 12 megapixels on a 3 inch screen designed for outdoor viewing will be brighter and appear more saturated than on a good quality 20 inch monitor.

Monitor quality (lumens, brightness, contrast, ratio, etc..) will also change your view. A high end monitor that's calibrated will work wonders, in short that awsome shot you took today will look like crap on your $150 bargain 20 inch monitor, and would have looked great on that $300 one you left at the store. But it may print nicely on the $150 photo printer you bought.

lol well the monitor i use is on my lap top lol.... after importing to LR should i just keep them a sRGB or should i go with adobe.... 99.9% of my shot will go to the web.

lol well the monitor i use is on my lap top lol.... after importing to LR should i just keep them a sRGB or should i go with adobe.... 99.9% of my shot will go to the web.
You don't have to worry about color space while you are in LR. But when you export, then you should choose sRGB.

You don't have to worry about color space while you are in LR. But when you export, then you should choose sRGB.

Adobe recommends Pro RGB.

Your camera cannot display a RAW on the LCD.

Each RAW capture generates and imbeds a Basic size JPEG in the RAW data file to display on the LCD use for a histogram.

Like all JPEG's the camera applies some measure of post processing to contrast, sharpness and saturation before displaying that basic size JPEG before it is seen on the LCD.

Like Mike and ErectedGryphon say, it's unreliable to use the camera LCD to evaluate anything other than composition, framing, and rough exposure values when capturing images as RAW data files.

Hope that helps some. :thumbup:

Hi,

Lol Big mike you are right, Dont use your camera display, sRGB is fine you can work on it..

Most reactions

Back