Color Film Questions

noahx1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! I am pretty new to film and had some questions about the colors of my photos. Attached are a few examples from my latest batch (developed and scanned at my local film store). I've noticed many have a blown out sky and greyish tones. Is that standard, or am I making mistakes? (The attached files have not been edited) The film for these was Fuji Pro400H. I shot these on an old Canon AE-1 Program. Thanks for the help! :)

Attachments

• 000047950015 (wecompress.com).jpg
    000047950015 (wecompress.com).jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 000047950025 (wecompress.com).jpg
    000047950025 (wecompress.com).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
You will somehow show us images of the negative ... as poor scanning can cause this ... but overcast sky's with over-exposure can also cause this.

Look like bad scans to me. But the sky is there.......

AKyGJmf.jpg

You will somehow show us images of the negative ... as poor scanning can cause this ... but overcast sky's with over-exposure can also cause this.
Yeah, here is a better example. When reading, I thought that exposing for the foreground was the best way to do it, but when I did that, the sky was blown out in this one. I am so used to using my ND grad filters or circular polarizers, I may have become too reliant on them!

Attachments

• 000047930019 (wecompress.com).jpg
    000047930019 (wecompress.com).jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 65
Gotcha! I've become a little confused, because looking at examples of over-exposed pictures, many have been quite forgiving, so I may have been way off in my settings. What is the best way to take a picture of a negative? A bright light underneath it and a macro lens?

From @webestang64 edit, it does show that there is data in the sky ... meaning the neg does not have over-exposure of the sky.
Interesting. So likely that would mean it was a poor scan?

You should learn how to "read" your film, the neg/slide will tell you everything.

You should learn how to "read" your film, the neg/slide will tell you everything.
I will definitely look into it! I plan to invest in a scanner at the least one day. Just need to make some room for it first.

Most reactions

Back