Color Management

photowriters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who can help me understand color management in the digital world?

I've searched the Internet and read everything I can get my hands on and printed much of it for future reference. I am not a dummy when it comes to photography. I majored in photojournalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, and although most of my work has been in black and white, I understand color from the standpoint of the necessity for accurate exposure and the importance of color temperature and balance. Nevertheless, something about digital color management escapes me.

I understand that that:
  • Each digital camera/sensor has a different profile.
    The monitor that you use must be calibrated for accurate color.
    The software/icc profile you use will impact what you see in a print.
    That you must match the printer to its icc profile.
    Etc.
But something still escapes me. If I print locally, I can tweek things until I am satisfied, but if I let someone else print my digital image files, and I have the correct icc profile for the printer/paper combination that they use, I am not sure what I have to do with the digital image files, if anything, to get the image I want.

If have edited an image file to the point that I am satisfied with what it looks like on a calibrated monitor using the imbedded icc profile of the camera, is there anything else that I must do to get the color I want in a print other than selecting the icc profile for the printer/paper combination?

FYI the software I use for editing/correcting the raw image is Nikon's Capture NX. Its image management software is not as elegant as Adobe Lightrooms, but its editing tools are easier to use IMHO. I also have Photoshop for specialized editing down to the pixel level.

Have a look here regarding proofing in photoshop using the printer profiles of digital labs, it should apply.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/profiles.htm

One other thing, if you're doing all that is mentioned here and still they look different, the thing that remains is that whoever is printeing should send directly to printer, some lab printers have a built in fix that all pictues go though. Typically consumer driven for more saturation and increased sharpness.

On last thing, your print will never exactly match your monitor, contrast range wise, but I assume you knew that already since you know the limitations while printing locally.

Most reactions

Back