color of my image looks different in windows and mac

I agree sticking with sRGB is a safer bet than the wide gamut of Adobe (1988). The reason why running windows on a Mac treats your photos differently is because under bootcamp, Windows is applying its own color management scheme to interpret color. (Caveat: I believe this is the case, although not a bootcamp expert. Maybe this has changed, but don't know why it would have.)

OSX and Windows use different whitepoints in addition to each system's calibration. The best way to avoid this is to use a Spyder to calibrate OSX and Windows separately. That way each are interpreting the same light coming off your monitor.

What I have come across is editing photos in PS using the sRGB profile, then saving for web. If you don't check the box that says "Embed sRGB Profile", the photos look desaturated or washed out on the web using a PC. For some reason this information needs to be embedded in the file for IE and Window to interpret correctly.

I usually edit in sRGB, then convert to the profile for my output (i.e. Web, specific printer profile and paper), then save.

What I am now having a problem with is creating a slideshow using a specific program and it looking bad on the other end. I am beginning to think it is a problem related to this programs method of conversion/compression and not the initial editing. Still working on that one.

Wow why not guess generically at the answer. Calibration is rarely the answer to desaturation. Wrong colours yes, desaturation across the board? No. The issue here is either colour profiles, or colour settings.

Question to the OP:
Do you use photoshop under windows as well? Or Windows Picture and Fax viewer? In either case you end up with something that can't be an issue with the colour space. Both programs have source colour management. But just to rule it out try saving in sRGB (which you really should use anyway for entirely other reasons).

Another possibility (especially if you are using photoshop on both windows and osx) is that your operating system colour profiles don't match. Photoshop imports these from the OS, Windows Pic&fax viewer doesn't. So here's a question. In Photoshop goto edit -> colour settings, -> RGB profile -> click the drop down and tell me what (if anything) is written next to the "Monitor RGB" option, but don't select it. This shows what profile photoshop has loaded.

Also what system did you print from? If you printed from windows then it doesn't mean that the windows system is displaying colour information correctly.

Or you know everyone could keep mindlessly suggesting calibration devices without sussing out the real issue ;)

Hi,

I think you should try using contenta converter, since the software is available for Mac as well as windows. It just might help.
Meenu

i have have this exact same issue, and so does superduperdan, we both have resorted to viewing from different machines to get some satisfaction, neither of us have gotten exact matches, it hasn't been too big of an issue though because our prints always match mac osx, which we print from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back