Color or Black & White?

Clay Olmstead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I shot this in color, then converted it to B&W in Lightroom. Which one is more appealing to you and why? What could be done to improve either one?

31540-1439842687-3dfa7a73608925efd222d91ec1d67b3d.jpg

Same thing in B&W:

31541-1439842697-62c0b6f78ed05928db74b14b44e9c42b.jpg

Color. The nice interplay of light and shadows is a bit lost on the conversion to b&w (esp. on the right side). I'm not even sure if you meant for the shadows to be a prominent part of the image or not, though.

If I were there, I would have probably shifted to a different POV. Maybe facing the building straight on with "The Belmont" on one side of the frame and one person walking into the frame on the other side. It would have made for a cleaner composition and showed the main subject.There's nice geometry you can outline with that composition as well (rectangles and contrast of the white and black doors).

Neither.

I don't get the point of the shot. In color.

And in B&W, it just looks like a photo I don't get the point of that was converted to B&W.

Sorry.

In order to answer the question, I must know the point of the photo?

For example, are you trying to show off the Belmont? Is it a street photo? Are you trying to show shadows and light?

Of the two, I'd say color. The photo doesn't really grab my attention and the B&W doesn't (for me) add anything. Maybe if the contrast were higher or it was a different time of day.

I may sound stupid, but what is the Belmont?
It looks like a hotel.

I can see that you saw an opportunity with the light being that beautiful afternoon golden color. To be honest each one has a different "feel" and as such should each be treated different. The black and white one is appealing more in a photojournalistic way, like if you had a project in mind for it.. people of an area, old historical buildings? the color is appealing simply because of the beautiful lighting. I think the first thing to ask would be "why did I shoot this? what caught my attention?"

Thanks for the critiques. This is just down the street from me, so I'll go shoot it again and see if I can clarify the point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back