What's new

Color or BW

Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
2,292
Location
大田, South Korea
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to determine if color or BW works best for this photo? What do you think?

577003995_1142314388047053_1141843984716717629_n.webp



577003995_1142314388047053_1141843984716717629_ng.webp
 
B&W for me lets me find and focus more on the subject
 
Technically your post doesn't conform to the required information being submitted, as it's a generic question I'll let it pass.

Your image is extremely busy without a clear focal point.The answer to your question requires you first answer another. What is the end intent? Do you want to show textures/shapes, then B&W does that better. If you want to draw the focus to the person, then color does that better.

Had you read the guidelines for posting in C&C, viewers would have been in a better position to answer your question.
 
The white, bright lighting on the floor detracts from both editions. It overwhelms the rest of the shot drawing my eye away from the subject woman. Also, there's too much busyness on the right side. I'd crop out three-quarters of the shot. Eliminate the bottom half where the brightness starts and the right half, and focus on her and the few items around her. Then compare the bw vs color and see which is better.
 
Color for me, a few drops of bright red in a sea of blue. The BnW everything just runs together for me; it needs a tighter crop to bring attention to the person.
 
My preference for this composition would have been monochrome, but I'm not a fan of your monochrome treatment of the composition. Thus, I like neither of these options.

They are busy, as someone stated earlier, but this could have been mitigated with some judicious processing. To me it seems as though you just clicked the B&W button in your processor of choice an called it a day. This approach did not work for me.
 
The white, bright lighting on the floor detracts from both editions
Thought the same thing. The edit you did addresses that AND simplified the composition solidfying the woman as the focal point.
 
I like the color better as it brings out the women which I feel is the main subject. As for the B&W, I would crop to the women and pop up the contrast but all the clutter makes it hard to work with in monochrome. Color is better.
 
color. what's your subject in this image and which version draws more attention to the subject?

to me the subject is the person. in the color version, her red hat pulls you in. in the b&w version, your eye goes to the brightest part of the photo, which is the ground.
 
Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback. My intention was to use the light on the floor as part of the environmental composition, as it was shot inside a dark market.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom