Color Science Tested (Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Sony)

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by VidThreeNorth, Nov 6, 2018.

1. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  2. stapo49

stapo49 No longer a newbie, moving up!

You Fuji users are horrible people lol.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. VidThreeNorth

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think we have a better selection of Fuji users "here". At least I haven't noticed it. :)

This was a long video. I watched it before "in pieces" -- first watching the beginning, and then the rest. I have finally watched the whole thing in one sitting, and I think I have to watch it again.

His measurement of "colour science" was mainly subjective, which is valid, and not really something new. The fact that he documented "brand loyalty" and its effect on image evaluation is new.

About consistency within a brand's line-up: Mostly I agree with him, but I know that in the Sony line-up it is true only among products of roughly the same developmental age. The problem is that Sony's line-up includes some older products. The a5100, a6000 and a6300 are much older than the a6500, a7III and a7RIII. Upgrading from the a5100 or a6000 to any of the later design cameras can result in improved images.

If anyone knows a student (I think a psychology student?) in a university, running a test like this might make a good thesis topic.

4. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Alright. Sony is number one. Take that Nikon and Cannon.

5. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have never watched any of his videos, for some reason I don`t like him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    because there was only one good point in the entire 22min video: Learn how to WB.

the entire test was moot when each image was WB'ed in post.

7. VidThreeNorth

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seriously? I you haven't seen any of his videos? Actually, I do not really disagree with you. There are so many of these videos "out there" you might as well make judgement calls on that little reason. I certainly do it every day. I look at the splash screen and title and often decide on clicking or not on that much alone.

From a practical standpoint, that is pretty much it. Or maybe, as I would prefer to look at it, "once you buy a camera, be happy with it and learn to do your editing."

But I was still thinking about this today and here's a picture I took this afternoon at a trade show:

Now the first version was right out of the camera and I was happy with it. But later in the day, I decided to change it. I applied Corel's "Smart Photo Fix" with the automatic adjustments. I don't like the 2nd version because it pushed the skin tone too far yellow. I'd prefer something in between. Since this picture is not "going anywhere" (no buyer or anything like that), as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to "finish it" by sweating the edit. But he's right that the main reason I notice the difference is because I'm specifically looking for it. If I just print out the first one and give it to someone -- even someone knowledgeable about photography, there's a good chance they'll just look at it and say "looks ok".

Attached Files:

8. n614cd

n614cd TPF Noob!

I watched it twice. Never did I see where he adjusted WB post processing. The images were from the Camara jpegs. Now what he did not cover is if he made adjustments in camera to the stock settings. Does not seem likely considering how carefully he mentioned all the other constraints and subjective items.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

9. Tim Tucker 2

Tim Tucker 2 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I saw this discussed on another forum where it turned into a complete bun-fight and brand war...

I thought the point was that the discussion is pointless as most see exactly what they want to see rather than being objective. Show them a blind test and they make different choices to when you present the same photos against brands, photographers are driven by a desire to believe and re-inforce that they made the correct purchasing choice rather than see subtle differences.

It was interesting in that it clearly showed that most don't look objectively but view with prejudice, seek only to confirm a pre-formed opinion. If nobody really looks properly and nobody understands that they can't separate what they wish to see from what is actually there then it renders most opinion on Photo forums as subjective.

It also raises another interesting question, and points out a contradiction; if the camera manufacturers did make a camera with perceptually accurate colours would anybody notice or even prefer it? As we generally gravitate to more *punch* then we also generally tend to prefer cameras that produce more punchy photos. Would we then consider those photos to have more accurate colour simply because we want to believe that it is?

This raises the contradiction, because we don't see colour correctly and demand punchier photos with neural skin tones then the whole exercise becomes a subjective one about matching our expectations and bias and has little to do with science or accuracy at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. n614cd

n614cd TPF Noob!

I have been curious about Sigma cameras. So I have been reading up on them. The details and the color punch are often mentioned. Now I wonder about perception....

11. Tim Tucker 2

Tim Tucker 2 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the problem on the other forum is that the viewers inevitably watched the video with the same prejudice as they used to view the images and so the thread turned into an argument of how the comparison wasn't a valid test of *colour science* because it didn't prove what they wished to believe.

Jpeg engines work on assumptions and averages and the real difference between them is actually very slight compared to the difference we think we see when we don't look objectively. It really does come down simply to which you prefer and not scientific facts...

12. n614cd

n614cd TPF Noob!

It also shows that the effective color for raw data is basically the same between all the major brands now. The difference in color science has more to do with the manufacturer's interpretation and the jpeg processing engine in the camera. Which makes sense when almost everyone except Canon uses a Sony sensor.

To me this makes the lens ecosystem even more critical and more valuable than the camera sensor or the camera body. It's going to be an interesting next few years.