Color Temperature and WB

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to make sure I understand this ...

WB is the process of telling the camera the temperature of the color so the camera can determine what is white?

Correct ?

And when in iPhoto editing my RAW photos and I adjust the "temperature" I am essentially changing the WB that was selected at the time of shooting correct?

Please correct what I have stated that is wrong and confirm what is right for me please :)

And Also does any one have a chart that correlates WB settings / color / and the proper application of these settings ?

Thanks for reading & Happy New Year !

depending on your camera, you shouldnt need any kind of chart, because the camera shots pictures for white balance.. and you pick it based on those pictures.. theres a picture of a lightening bolt thats for if your using flash, theres a pic or a flourecent light (for.. flourcent light) a sun for natural light, a house for shadowy areas.. thats one way of picking what WB to use..

Take a look at this post and read through all the responses. While ann provides a great resource, there is not magical chart.

Pay particular attention on the response where I have posted two pictures. You would assume one would be at a different color temperature than the other, but it turns out to be the opposite of what you might think.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/148030-first-pics-posted.html

In general, WB (white balance) how we get the photo to look like we saw it when it was taken. But it can be a cool tool to make great B/W (black and white) shots better.

-Nick

dtornabene1

Thanks for the link to your WB post ... it did help... But I am still a little curious about what's happening in iPhoto...

When I have a RAW photo in iPhoto and I'm editing it, when I adjust the temperature slider am I adjusting the WB ?

dtornabene1

Thanks for the link to your WB post ... it did help... But I am still a little curious about what's happening in iPhoto...

When I have a RAW photo in iPhoto and I'm editing it, when I adjust the temperature slider am I adjusting the WB ?

Yep! You got it. :thumbup:

-Nick

Most reactions

Back