colorchecker/xrite/pantone ..vs ...color swatches from HD

LifeORiley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a xrite colorchecker with software that works in Adobe. The -- get it right the first time, everytime ----- the easy button for WB. Got it.

That said, what about the paint swatches from HD - made by experts and under exacting color temperature.

Could you triangulate proper and exact color using these swatches?

I'm going to buy an xrite anyway but I'm just curious.

Thanks

What are you hoping to achieve with this. Do you want to make camera input profiles or is this a WB target?

Joe

What are you hoping to achieve with this. Do you want to make camera input profiles or is this a WB target?

Well color accuracy. You can get WB with a gray card I guess.... but.... is it possible to assemble a group of paint samples to function the same/similar way as an xrite.

If somebody (with a color meter) could define (assign RGB values) and assemble a "color chart" with the same/similar colors as an xrite.

Clicking on the chart in lightroom will tell you if you have the correct RGB amount for each color that is "defined".

A one for one chart to the xrite chart.

------------------------------------
No big deal, I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this idea

Last edited:

Well color accuracy. You can get WB with a gray card I guess.... but.... is it possible to assemble a group of paint samples to function the same/similar way as an xrite.

Color accuracy is an elusive goal. The X-Rite color checker won't give you that. And if you use it to try and build your own input camera profile the best you'll achieve after long hours of struggle is an input profile that will let you accurately photograph the color checker under the specific light source that you used to create that profile. Change the light source and you need a new input profile. Change the subject to something other than the color checker and your profile will not give you accurate colors.

The engineers who created the input profiles used for your camera now did so under better controlled conditions and with a bigger and better "color checker" and superior measuring instrumentation. Those profiles are generic and won't be spot on accurate under variable light conditions but that's life.

If you have a studio with controlled lights that will always be the same when you use them then the color checker and custom input profile can make sense. If you don't like the generic profile your camera/software provides you with now you can create a new for yourself that you may prefer but you should remove the term "accurate" from your thinking.

If you want a best possible white balance target (good idea) then you can do that without spending any money on fancy photo stuff -- can't beat a Styrofoam coffee cup.

Joe

Thanks for the input Ysarex

Color accuracy is an elusive goal.
- Seems so. I'm a novice at LR and photography - thus I'm running into many barriers at once. I'm person that likes definitions and "knowns" to work from ...........Color correcting in LR can be a frustrating experiment, even with a calibrated monitor.

"How high is up?"

Here's an example I found of a RGB card - but it has mixed reviews and from what you said....it won't work anyway

http://www.amazon.com/CameraTrax-24...VREKPX6J&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Thanks again for the info. and tips (can't wait to test the styrofoam WB)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the input Ysarex

Color accuracy is an elusive goal.
- Seems so. I'm a novice at LR and photography - thus I'm running into many barriers at once. I'm person that likes definitions and "knowns" to work from ...........Color correcting in LR can be a frustrating experiment, even with a calibrated monitor.

"How high is up?"

Here's an example I found of a RGB card - but it has mixed reviews and from what you said....it won't work anyway

http://www.amazon.com/CameraTrax-24ColorCard-3x5-OneSnapColor-Balance-Guidebook/dp/B005IUBU2O/ref=pd_sim_421_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=06FXFS0FAV5PVREKPX6J&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Thanks again for the info. and tips (can't wait to test the styrofoam WB)

That's a cheap color checker knockoff -- stay away!

I have a color checker passport -- a couple of them. I have to teach color management and I take the time to demo how to make camera input profiles in class. But I don't recommend the effort to anyone except a studio photographer doing exacting work. And again what you're going to get isn't so much "accurate" but rather access to hand tune the result and put your own spin on it. That can be an interesting and attractive avenue for control but it does have a learning curve.

In the meantime I'm a stickler for shooting a WB target. I get a new one from the kitchen every time the one I'm using get's dirty. Right now in the pocket of my camera bag is a razor-bladed out square of a white Styrofoam food tray that the last fresh bok choy from the grocery store came wrapped on -- nothing you can buy will work better.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back