Colors turning out grey or white!!

Sabre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a big problem with the colors in my photographs - all beiges, light browns, yellows, creams, oranges etc. turn out grey or white!! I'm using a Cosina C1 SLR with Kodak Portra 100T tungsten balanced film in my studio with two Portaflash DL1000 Digi Lights. I also had the same problem when I was taking photos in my conservatory (during the day) with daylight film and no studio lighting. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Sabre

Sabre said:
Hi everyone,

I've got a big problem with the colors in my photographs - all beiges, light browns, yellows, creams, oranges etc. turn out grey or white!! I'm using a Cosina C1 SLR with Kodak Portra 100T tungsten balanced film in my studio with two Portaflash DL1000 Digi Lights. I also had the same problem when I was taking photos in my conservatory (during the day) with daylight film and no studio lighting. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Sabre

Tungsten balanced film takes out yellow/orange, therefore beige and orange will appear as grey and cream as white. Use Portra 100NC or VC for natural colours. Or preferably Fuji Superia Reala 100.

Flash is a higher temp than standard tungsten balanced is set for, so the above advice holds true with your studio rig too.

Rob

But, I had the same problem with the colors in the conservatory with daylight balanced film. And the Portaflash Digi Lights (despite their name) are not flash, they're tungsten lights, hence the tungsten balanced film.

Sabre

Oh I missed that, sorry! If you can post a scan then we can probably help. It could also be a simple over-exposure bleaching the colours? Or perhaps the film was kept in unsuitable conditions or was majorly overdate causing saturation issues?

Did you have any filters on the camera, and did this affect the shot in any other way colour wise? Did you try any other lenses or bodies?

Rob

Ok, I just uploaded an image:

http://gamma.applepics.com/7/userfiles/4390606371563.jpg

The background should be a warm yellowy orangey beige color. The colors of the bureau should also be much warmer and richer.

In the studio I use a Hoya 82A filter (the tungsten lights are 3000K) - I've tried it without the filter and I still get the same problem.

I haven't tried any other lenses or bodies - the only other lens I have is a 100-300 zoom lens. I suppose I could try that.

It's just overexposed by the looks of it. Possibly the film is slightly fogged as well. Saving in PS and doing a simple Auto Levels and a little touch of brightness and contrast and a tiny boost to the red channel fix it up perfectly.

Check your light meter batteries I'd say.

If you like I can post the PS version to illustrate?

Rob

PS? Is that PhotoShop? I don't have PhotoShop, so I don't know if I'd be able to open the file unless you save it as a JPEG. I have Paint Shop Pro 7 which I've been using a lot with these photos. I've just had a quick attempt to correct this picture (with PSP), but I can't seem to get the colors right for both the background and the bureau. At this point I usually cut out the piece of furniture from the background and paste it on top of the original image. I then have two layers that I can edit separately - one for the background and one for the furniture. This process takes quite a long time - a whole days work to get half a dozen or so pictures ready! :grumpy:

You mentioned that the film might be slightly fogged. What does this mean and how does that happen?

The light meter is built into the camera I think (little green light indicates when I've got the settings right). I'll try changing the battery in the camera.

Thanks for your help.

Sabre

Hi,

Yes, the background is definitely yellow/orange/beige. I've also tried other background materials and colors (edit: all the colors I've tried have been fairly light and pastel shades) and they all become a shade of grey - sometimes there is a slight hint of color aswell, but not necessarily the right color and never rich enough.

Sabre

It could be a problem at the printing stage rather than anything wrong with your camera or technique. It's possible that whover is processing your prints is assuming that the background should be white, and that the warm orange is a colour cast from the lighting, so is trying to 'correct' it. When you take your next film to be developed, make sure you give them instructions as to the conditions you were shooting in, and the background you were using.

Not sure where you get your pics developed, but if its a general high-street store, then try using somewhere else - a photo store or pro lab, as they're more likely to know what they're doing :D

I thought that might be the case too. So, I had the pictures put straight onto CD - same problem. Could it still be a problem at the lab? Could they be developing the film incorrectly? I take my films to Tesco - I don't think they would bother correcting anything there.

Sabre

How do the film strips look. Compare the film to and older roll of negatives that you know printed good. It may be poor developing of the roll. If the film looks lighter then other negs you have then the chemistry may have been contaminated or not in proper control. As well, if the paper chemistry is not in control and is slightly off your prints will have a cyan dull look to them.

Eric

Hi everyone,

I'm still having trouble with this. I've noticed recently that I can see the colors are washed out before I even take the photographs - with the naked eye, without even looking through the camera! The colors aren't as bad as when I get the pictures back from the lab, but they are definitely washed out. So I'm now thinking it's possibly a problem with my studio setup. Too much light perhaps? Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sabre

The picture on your site was just simply over-exposed. If you open it in Photoshop and do a simple Auto-Levels it fixes it up to look perfect. I suspect you're overdoing it on your lighting by about 3 stops.

If you want me to demonstrate by editing your pic then I can for you.

Rob

Hi Rob,

>If you want me to demonstrate by editing your pic then I can for you.

OK, thanks, I'd like to see that.

Sabre

Most reactions

Back