What's new

Colour, B&W, neither?

Which one should I keep?

  • Keep the COLOUR version

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Keep the B&W version

    Votes: 6 66.7%
  • DELETE BOTH and we'll all make believe that the image never happened

    Votes: 2 22.2%

  • Total voters
    9
  • Poll closed .

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I know how I feel about this image but would like to crowdsource the decision :)

p1321545958-4.jpg



p1321513448-4.jpg
 
B&W for shure.... it makes a better B&W than color IMHO Nice shot!!
 
...
 
Last edited:
In the US .... it is spelled COLOR but neither is wrong
 
...
 
Last edited:
B&W. However, if I were to shoot this in color I would have taken a completely different approach to framing, composition, and color processing.
What I'm trying to say here is that you clearly seem to see subjects like this in B&W, and so you set up your shot to work best in that medium.

The shot in color, in my opinion, fails.
 
...
 
Last edited:
I agree the lack of composition makes the shot less than a great desire. I disagree as to B&W sucking everything out of the image. From that standpoint the image is strong either or...but each to his/her own opinion. I have rarely found an image that doesn't show as well in B&W as it does in color and in many instances the B&W is much better...but I guess it depends on your background.
 
Sorry, neither of them quite work for me.

In #1 the mood contrast of bright blue sky and red brick and dreary brown foreground makes the image a bit confusing. The building is the center of attention and doesn't let the eye wander, yet it doesn't have the presence to warrant being centered like that. Crop out the foreground and the mood changes.

The BW works better in this sense for me. Less confused. I still feel the composition too stiflingly centered. I'm kinda wanting a sense of loneliness or desolation with the image centered more on empty space. I'd crop out foreground and bring the building to the left. Also, the impact of the tree is lessened as it is lost against the darkened sky.

Desi
 
Mully said:
In the US .... it is spelled COLOR but neither is wrong

But in Canada it is spelled colour and he is in Canada.

I would have liked to see the rest of the shack on the right. Not if it was possible otherwise I'm sure you would have included it.
As for which, well I think they both work. I wonder though, if you could decrease the saturation, may work as well.
 
Thanks for the candid feedback, everybody.

The other day I read on some forum (it might've been this one) a comment from someone saying that when a photo is not good enough then no amount of post-processing will make it good. In my mind I agreed 100% with that – on paper at least.

But then I thought... When we see a photo that moves us in any way, how do we even know that there is in fact a good photo under all the makeup? Moreover: do we even care? I guess it all depends on how we're experiencing the image – as a viewer or as a critic.

Anyway, this whole thing made me go to the archives to look for any image that I had never processed because I thought it wasn't good enough to bother putting some makeup on it. Time for an exercise.

In this photo, if you take the tree out of the picture, and maybe also the broken window, you have absolutely nothing of interest left. The house itself, with the fake-brick front, is useless. I don't think the framing is good or bad, but the lack of anything really interesting kind of makes us feel that the comp is uninteresting as well. I don't remember what I had in mind when I shot this scene (in terms of colour or B&W, I mean), so I processed it both ways. I didn't like the results. I removed some of the bottom in an attempt to make the composition more interesting (you're seeing the cropped version here) and still didn't like the results. So I let a day go by and then looked at the photo(s) again. Today I didn't think they were as bad as I thought they were yesterday, so I posted them here.

I don't think a single photo would be enough to prove the above comment one way or the other, but this photo in particular is on its way to the shredder. If I had to choose between the two versions, I'd take the B&W though.

Thank you all again.
 
Only if i am forced to choose one i will go for one and that too with much reluctance. Each has its own merits and demerits and each will have its own admirers; The color pleases where as the monochrome creates a tension, an enjoyable tension. It is clearly stated that no B&W conversion offers as much details as available in color. So that need not be taken as a demerit of it. Finally i decided to choose neither and take home both ;)
PS: American English:Color; British English: Colour
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom