colour to black and white

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, i was wandering if i had a colour film developed, would i be able to take into a black and white darkroom and use the enlargers there etc... to process it in black and white?

if so does it come up as shard etc...?

thanks!

It works... but your pics will be lacking in contrast slightly compared to normal b+w film - think this is due to the coloured base layer you get on most colour negs (the bit that gives the characteristic orange colour to Kodak negs, for example). Use a high contrast paper to compensate.

There might be an issue with increased grain size, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Use it to your advantage for atmospheric, grainy shots if there is!

My experience is that they tend to print very low contrast, and the grain is more noticable in BW. I don't think it's actually bigger, but somehow the color hides it better.

I've printed a handful of color pics on bw. Some were easy to print, usually just adding a 3 or 3.5 filter and some I couldn't get to work for anything. Kodak makes a special paper for printing color on black & white called Panalure, but I never tried it, it seems like it was pretty expensive and had to be processed in the dark iirc.

Colour neg film has an amber base. Normal B/W papers are only sensitive in the blue region so you need long exposures and you get low contrast.
Kodak do a panchromatic photopaper called Panalure for doing this job. But you need to handle it in total darkness just like film. Works well, though.

Most reactions

Back