Combining two pictures?

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying something that's sort of a self-portrait. I know how I want it to look but I'm running into two problems. One is my timer on the camera and the focus. The other - which is the reason for my posting - is the merging of two pictures. I'm trying to figure out how to pull that off. I can pull the subject from one photo and drop it into place into the second and then do some erasing for a smoother background. BUT the focuses are off and the lighting don't look right.

I'll post my attempt soon. I just realized that photobucket doesn't upload .tif files. :grumpy:

If anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial, that'd be great. I can keep working on getting better focus on my camera.

For a self portrait switch to manual fofus and try and focus on a point where you know you'll be. You may also require a smaller aperture so more is in focus. What aperture are you using? You may need to be at f5.6, f8 or even f11 depending on how you are trying to focus and the distance you are from your camera.

Your camera will also need to be set to manual. If shooting 2 images and you use Auto, you may get 2 different exposures and therefore the images won't look right. Take a meter reading. Set camera to manual and nmow all your images will look the same. All you need to worry about is getting focus right.

THe wider the lens the more depth of field you will have.

My Avatar was shot at 17mm and at f4 I think. With a wide angle that gives enough depth of field to get everything sharp.

Just curious.
If you put two exposures (with the subject in different places on same set) and use a difference layer mode, will the figures pop out?

is this something you have in mind?

410648576_e50139a292_o.jpg

A quick easy way to get sharp focus on self portraits is to take the camera off of the tripod, and stand where you are going to stand for the portrait. Focus on the tripod. Make sure and mark an X or something where you are standing. Now put the camera back on the tripod and you should be focused at the correct distance.

A quick easy way to get sharp focus on self portraits is to take the camera off of the tripod, and stand where you are going to stand for the portrait. Focus on the tripod. Make sure and mark an X or something where you are standing. Now put the camera back on the tripod and you should be focused at the correct distance.

as obvious and simple of a technique as this is...i have never thought to do this. i am glad i opened this thread...

ANother simple trick in the same vein - when you are trying to focus on something that has no really sharp edges or angles, mark a 3 x 5 card with a drk, black x and lay or hold that card on or directly in front of the object until you get the fous and then move it away for the exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back