Come into my HDR bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey abrax, did you intentionally choose to leave the room looking more warm? (Just curious)

Never really gave it any thought.

The client's intention is not realism. It is a call to action--a phone call or visit to the office offering these homes for sale.

Out of the close to a thousand of these I've done, I've had maybe 2-3 where I've had to correct the white balance. A successful argument I've considered is that homes are supposed to be warm and inviting--or otherwise they'd look like factories and jail cells.

My intention is to get through the day as quickly as possible. Maximum satisfactory work in the minimum amount of time. On a good day I can do 8-10 of these. On a slow day I can do 2 in an hour and a half. Then I got other places I go to screw around and do landscapes.

Possibly surprisingly enough, many of the clients of the brokers I shoot for are return or new clients because I do the photography. I try to keep my standard of quality much higher than the local norm and still hold back in case the competition edges closer. If I ever have to to keep the competitive edge, more specific technical matters will be addressed.

Last edited:
mitsu - Post pro color temperature adjustments are found in adobe camera raw or lightroom. I forced a raw open of your jpg to shift it for example.

-Shea

This may sound silly.... but why do we do HDR's on indoor scenes that don't have a high dynamic range? For the tonemapping quality maybe?

I thought the whole purpose of an HDR was to transend the limitation of the sensor when shooting scenes with large tonal variations.

The variations are there. Try this; Sit in a room with the windows open on a bright sunny day and take note of every nuance, every shadow and highlight.

mitsu - Post pro color temperature adjustments are found in adobe camera raw or lightroom. I forced a raw open of your jpg to shift it for example.

-Shea

I already know you can do this post but the way you said "shoot a few color temps", I thought you meant something different...as in while you are shooting. Because as I said before, I seen a video of someone showing you how to do these and they shot a picture down at the ground and one up at the sky then took those settings and another in between to use for the 3 pictures. So I thought that's what you were talking about when you said that.

This may sound silly.... but why do we do HDR's on indoor scenes that don't have a high dynamic range? For the tonemapping quality maybe?

I thought the whole purpose of an HDR was to transend the limitation of the sensor when shooting scenes with large tonal variations.

Dynamic range goes in both directions. If you set up a bracketed shot on your camera (I believe you have the D300) you will notice that there are options to do an even +/- split, as well as to take a BASE Exposure and do 2 or 3 shots over or under only. You may have a shot with some pretty deep shadows, and ok light, and need to bracket to bring all those shadows out.

Oy Vey. No. Please get the terminology right before providing definitions.

You have no tact bro. Jesus, what is with this generation that thinks foul mouthed discourse equates to "keeping it real".

In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques.

As came from Wikipedia. So, don't tell me I need to learn the terminology, when you might have to do the same. Gradients and Light and Dark are the same thing. Thank you for validating my point. ;)

And who needs tact? I sure don't. Tact never got anyone anywhere. "Keep it real," you make me laugh. I am not ghetto. I don't "keep it real." I stay 100% truthful to myself and everyone else around me. It's obvious that some people here have a hard time handling what other people REALLY think. I say what most people are thinking on SO many occasions.

Last edited:
In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques.

As came from Wikipedia. So, don't tell me I need to learn the terminology, when you might have to do the same. Gradients and Light and Dark are the same thing. Thank you for validating my point. ;)

And who needs tact? I sure don't. Tact never got anyone anywhere.

You are too cute!

High Dynamic Range, it is an effectively contrasts the lightest and the darkest point of every hue in the photograph, providing very vivid color and color gradients.

Gradients and "light/dark" are NOT the same thing. A gradient CAN be a transition (whether smooth or not) between the lighest and darkest points in an image or it can simply be a transition between light OR dark portions of an image.

Seriously though, your first "definition" reads like a beginner attempting to explain a subject to another beginner, and hoping to qualify their "information" by tossing in a bunch of words (seriously - "hue" - is "color" too long to type out?) that sound "right".

Seriously though, your first "definition" reads like a beginner attempting to explain a subject to another beginner, and hoping to qualify their "information" by tossing in a bunch of words (seriously - "hue" - is "color" too long to type out?) that sound "right".

Well, I just try to explain things on a level that I think everyone can understand. I do the same thing to my family about cars. I have been racing for a long time, and know a substantial amount about vehicles. So, when I explain what I am doing to someone who asks, I explain it in an elementary way, because most people don't understand what I am talking about. Gradient is a range between light and dark. Most people understand the word gradient, so I used it.

Sue Me :D

I think there are a few people in here who need to take a step or two back from where they currently are. Please can we get back on topic and keep it there or the thread will be locked.

Gradient can refer to a range between light and dark.
Fixed for posterity.

I think there are a few people in here who need to take a step or two back from where they currently are. Please can we get back on topic and keep it there or the thread will be locked.

+1

Come and think about it, locking may not work because this type of threads keep popping up lately. And usually with the same group of people. ;)

As for the guys arguing I have something for you:
arguing.jpg
[IMAGE REMOVED]
got it from [LINK REMOVED] just for referance :p

Sorry to the op about the offtopic, but what's a post like this doing on a moderated forum? I mean, what kind of a person posts that and thinks it's funny? Yes, arguing on a forum doesn't make sense, you can say it like it is, no need to put special olympics and a picture of some kid trying to do his best into this. I work with special needs children and I found this to be highly offensive and immoral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to the op about the offtopic, but what's a post like this doing on a moderated forum? I mean, what kind of a person posts that and thinks it's funny? Yes, arguing on a forum doesn't make sense, you can say it like it is, no need to put special olympics and a picture of some kid trying to do his best into this. I work with special needs children and I found this to be highly offensive and immoral.

I do not work with special needs children nor I know anyone that require special need. But I DO found that picture offensive.

Hi Mits..
I didn't read the whole thread because it got a bit sidetracked... and long.
But I do like your original picture other than it is a little crooked.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back