Comfortable strap for neck/shoulder versatile! Anti-Fail

@Microbois, thanks for your further explanation, I may still purchase the tether kit then, just to be sure, but a best way is to check the screw from time to time..

How troublesome is whole strap to put on and take off? While out it will be on my shoulder, when taking the subway it will be in my sling. Also if I wanted someone else to take my photo. Or are their accessories I should consider to make it slightly easier to take off than unscrewing it from the mount?

I also have a G12 that I would love to carry together, but can one of the SNAPR bags be attached to this? And would it be recommended to do so or not? As this is a solo trip I think asking people to take my photo will be easier with the G12 than taking off my DSLR, operation also much easier for some people. I am considering both options.

I'm not over thinking it, I am just asking. Blackraipd sells the wire strap so I figured I would ask about. So that means people must be buying it and there must be a need for it. The Pacsafe sling I have also has an anti-slash feature.

Putting the Black Rapid Sport strap on and off is quick. You don't need to unscrew the camera each time, it's a carabiner clip, so you just open it and store the camera away. As far as the G12, keep it in your sling bag, you don't want to look like a Chritmas tree and show off all your stuff. I think you overthinking it, and yes those wire strap exists, but I think it's more for women who are more vulnerable to thief because of their size compared to men. Don't forget that fear sells lots of products too... If you travel in very dangerous areas (Paris is not), then it's not a wire strap that will make the difference between your camera being stolen or not. Thieves go after easy targets and they don't want to get caught. Just make sure you are not an easy target, be aware of your surroundings, and it won't happen. Simple.

Last edited:
@Microbois, "like a christmas tree" I love it, and yes, I think it might look just like that. haha.

So it seems I don't even need to take off the strap, just release the camera and store the camera instead of taking off the whole rig, that might work out very good. Or if I want to take off the whole thing, I just take it off with camera attached and store it, take it out and put it on and ready to go, right? Either way will work it seems.

Some gypsies in Paris are quite brash about their actions and even try to push you around to get your stuff. I have some friends mention this to me, some of them follow you around, a group of three followed a friend of mine for several blocks, though a subway station and onto a train. Their quite upfront about their actions, at least some of them.

Yup, that's about it.

Some gypsies in Paris are quite brash about their actions and even try to push you around to get your stuff. I have some friends mention this to me, some of them follow you around, a group of three followed a friend of mine for several blocks, though a subway station and onto a train. Their quite upfront about their actions, at least some of them.

One more reason to trim your stuff down to the bare minimum you need, and not show it off in areas where you may get you in trouble. Not looking like a tourist is your best protection.

Last edited:
Yes, I have already considered this point. In my day sling there will not be much in there. The camera, sunglasses, a small bit of money, maybe my cell phone, and a jacket and of course the dslr and the G12. It has space for much more but... The flash stays in the hotel if I am out during the day, I doubt I am going to need it. The 6D has a great ISO, just that without a tripod you know...

Not looking like a tourist in Europe is hard. Especially in a place like Paris, other areas I am going I am not so worried. I am dressing for comfort not fashion. And going in the summer, I expect lots of people which is both good and bad...

I really like my Op/Tech Pro strap. Its really tough and quite comfortable. You can also buy attachments for it as well and make it into a makeshift sling if needed.

I also use a Blackrapid RS7 when I am using heavy lenses or when shooting long periods. But I still prefer the Op/Tech Pro strap just because it's just easier than fiddling with the RS7 and I find the RS7 to be a little restrictive, it was also giving me a rash on my neck.

This is what made me buy the Op/Tech Pro strap.

otherprof, cross posted it seems.. thanks for that,. I will also check out the speedcarry, thank you. I will have a look. It can be used for neck and shoulder?
It is a cross-body strap, like the BlackRapid. I don't think it will work as a neck strap. But it does take the weight off.

As an avid Black Rapid user from the beginning I remember the problems with the initial camera attachment. Instead of ditching my Black Rapid's I modified them. I am already a big believer in the arca-swiss system. All of my bodies, any lenses with tripod mounts and all my pods tri and mono are equipped with arca-swiss. I replaced the attached on the bottom of the black rapid with a screw mount Arca Swiss clamp. Since I began using them in 2008/2009 I have never had a problem with this particular setup. I use short stud screw clamps instead of lever clamps. Makes attachment and removal a cinch.

Last edited:
As the OP brought it up, for thieves, I use what I was using today which is an old non-camera messenger bag worn like a BlackRapid strap, across chest, and the camera is tossed in there when not shooting. This works good with either a regular neck strap, but with camera over shoulder and strap and camera go in bag, or as today with a BlackRapid where just the camera goes in the bag.

How about stickers with your name on them?

Or personalized camera straps with your name embroidered in them. The anti-slash sling sounds good to me.

I'm a fan of Personalized Waterproof 3M Sticker Labels for your photography, camera and video accessories- Canon Nikon Fuji Sony equipment. They're waterproof and scratch-proof. The only downside is that these stickers are extremely difficult to peel.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back