Comfortable strap for neck/shoulder versatile! Anti-Fail

jcam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a camera strap for my Canon 6D with 28-300 Tamron lens attached. In the future it could be a Canon 70-200 or 100-400mm lens. I might be wearing this for 5-10 hours a day, I don't want something that looks geeky either. The stap should be versatile to allow for either neck wear or shoulder wear. As I will have a sling bag, I cannot always put it over my shoulder. otherwise I would have a sling bag on one side the camera on the other. I hope I can easily use it for either or without changing anything. I hope it could also have some anti-fail features that if one part fails the camera doesn't drop to the ground. I have seen a few that hvae this sort of fuctionality.

thanks!!!

While I don't have one of their products, next strap I get will probably be from Blackrapid.

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but the Black Rapid Sport strap is pretty handy. That's the one I have, and love it. The only drawback with it, is if you don't need your camera and dont want to keep an hand on it at all time while walking, it will be dangling at your hip. That being said, you can probably install a clip on your belt and minimize this issue. Otherwise, you may consider Peak Design Capture Pro camera clip. There are similar clips sold by other manufacturers where it comes with the whole thing you strap around your chess for that distinctive geeky look! Good luck!

I am looking for a camera strap for my Canon 6D with 28-300 Tamron lens attached. In the future it could be a Canon 70-200 or 100-400mm lens. I might be wearing this for 5-10 hours a day, I don't want something that looks geeky either. The stap should be versatile to allow for either neck wear or shoulder wear. As I will have a sling bag, I cannot always put it over my shoulder. otherwise I would have a sling bag on one side the camera on the other. I hope I can easily use it for either or without changing anything. I hope it could also have some anti-fail features that if one part fails the camera doesn't drop to the ground. I have seen a few that hvae this sort of fuctionality.

thanks!!!
I think you should check out SpeedCarry. I have one and love it. You don't lose the tripod socket when it is mounted on the camera, as you did with BlackRapid when I bought mine. (They might have improved that by now.) It also has an extra little strap from the camera to the the hardware on the belt that acts as a backup against drops from the strap.

I did see a review of the black rapid, and that one does offer the anti-fail feature, but can that one be used for either neck or shoulder? It appears the grip would kill the neck as it is very grippy and rubbery rather than soft. I will be walking around Paris, for example, with this, so I don't want something swinging around at my hip all day, that could potentially damage the camera and I'd have a bruise on my hip. haha. I will check ou the capture pro also as you mentioned. I don't want all those clips and straps, haaha.

otherprof, cross posted it seems.. thanks for that,. I will also check out the speedcarry, thank you. I will have a look. It can be used for neck and shoulder?

image.jpg
Best strap I ever owned.
Amazon.com Camera Strap - Soft Padded Black Neoprene Lightweight Adjustable Comfortable Designer Sling for Your Valued Canon Nikon Pentax Sony DSLR - Anti-Slip - For Guys Women - Quick Release Design - Protect Your Investment - 100 Money Back Guarantee Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I did see a review of the black rapid, and that one does offer the anti-fail feature, but can that one be used for either neck or shoulder?

Not really. The Black Rapid is a shoulder strap and it wouldn't be comfortable to wear around your neck. That being said, a neck strap can be worn on your shoulder though. I pretty much have my camera with me at all time when I travel or visit, and I spent many years with just the original neck strap. It's very tiring and hurt your neck. What I like about the Black Rapid is that your camera hangs at your hip, and it's in my habit to rest my hand on the camera at all time so it doesn't bang, move, or eventually get touched by bystanders. I also like that when I need it, it's almost like the strap dissapears as I bring to camera to my eye.

The only reason why a shoulder strap would not be appropriate is if you are planning on climbing, or getting into bumpy situation where you need both of your hands. Then, the camera would bang your hip. But if all you are doing is visiting cities, museums, and you're mostly walking all the time, then, a shoulder strap is what you need. I also have a Sling bag and can wear both at the same time with no problem.

I might be wearing this for 5-10 hours a day, I don't want something that looks geeky either.

thanks!!!

This is not like eating at a Chinese restaurant, You can't choose one from column A and one from column B. Then human body is truly a disaster in the design. You want something that it comfortable and safe on you shoulder and your neck, it will probably look geeky.

Maybe not this geeky...
6968757342_cec8483565.jpg

But geeky none the less.

Me, I prefer the Black Rapids.

@Microbois, The problem is I bought a pacsafe V18 sling bag which holds lots of stuff, but I don't want to keep opening and closing the bag. The purpose of the sling bag is for anti-theft and can hold more gear. I don't think my shoulders can suffer two different types of things, I don't know I need to try I guess. Hmmm you wear both at the same time? On the same shoulder? or do you cross them?

@oldhippy, that can be used for both it seems, neck and shoulder, quick release, not sure I need that function and worry someone might try to run off with my camera, but I will give it another look

I hate straps that connect via the tripod screw.

@Microbois, The problem is I bought a pacsafe V18 sling bag which holds lots of stuff, but I don't want to keep opening and closing the bag. The purpose of the sling bag is for anti-theft and can hold more gear. I don't think my shoulders can suffer two different types of things, I don't know I need to try I guess. Hmmm you wear both at the same time? On the same shoulder? or do you cross them?

I have the Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW bag and the Black Rapid Sport shoulder strap. I wear the Black Rapid on my left shoulder and my sling bag is always on my right shoulder, so yes, I cross them. I just make sure to put the shoulder strap on top so my bag strap so it's not in the way. That being said, and depending if photographic occasions are far apart, I sometimes don't wear my strap at all since sling bags are so convenient to pull your camera out in a matter of seconds and stuff it back when done. When I have my 70-200mm f/4 zoom on my D610 though, then I have to wear my shoulder strap because my sling bag can't fit my camera with such a long lens.

I think you are over analyzing the situation. Neck straps, even the most padded ones, are a pain to use. Look at the professionals at sports games, they either don't have any straps at all, or will wear some kind of shoulder straps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back