comments and critiques <3

You need a consistent exposure for your picture to have that professional look.

You should pay more attention to your backgrounds. You should start shooting in M for more consistent exposure.

mcap1972 said:
You should pay more attention to your backgrounds. You should start shooting in M for more consistent exposure.

Actually sir I always shoot on M but can you please help me get a consistent exposure and wb w/o using a greycard or any alternative?

For the background, what tip can you advice if shooting in a small busy place?

Ps: i'm only using a d3000 w/ 18-55mm kit lens.

Very pretty. Are you using any additional lighting? (you must be?)

AMOMENT said:

I think these are probably natural light.

AMOMENT said:

Thank you! Made my heart really feel warm! 1-4 I only used the pop up flash from my cam and a silver reflector to catch the light. But for the 5 I only used natural light w/o the pop up flash and reflector.

do have any poses like #1 where she's looking at the camera? the post is nice and I would have like to see a tighter crop around her face.
#2 the reflector is way too harsh on the bottom of her face and really dark on top. Try to balance it out by moving her somewhere that the light can hit her head and back up the reflector.
#3 is a bin'er. sorry. The background blown out and her eyes look weird from the side
#4 again no light above her head. it blends with the background.
#5 really underexposed but one of the better poses

LuckySe7en said:
do have any poses like #1 where she's looking at the camera? the post is nice and I would have like to see a tighter crop around her face.
#2 the reflector is way too harsh on the bottom of her face and really dark on top. Try to balance it out by moving her somewhere that the light can hit her head and back up the reflector.
#3 is a bin'er. sorry. The background blown out and her eyes look weird from the side
#4 again no light above her head. it blends with the background.
#5 really underexposed but one of the better poses

Thanks! You pointed out q lot of stuff to improve. Actually personally #3 is my favorite shot though.

Again thanks! Will try to enhance this when i get a chance.

I think some of these have a lot of potential, the lighting is just (like what some others have said) inconsistent and "spotty" in some areas.

1 - lighting seems spotty to the upper right side of her face and lower left side of the face. If you're using the pop-up flash I'm assuming that you turned your camera sideways with the flash on the left and put the reflector to the right(photographer's right)? There seems to be more light on the left and then n her face as though her hair blocked some of the flash, maybe that's what made it "spotty".

2 - the reflector is being held too lower giving her that "scary story flashlight" look.

3 - The background is too light with foreground too dark. Also the poses doesn't really do anything for me because there isn't something eye catching or interesting in the foreground, maybe her necklace.

4 - This one seems to have the most even lighting of all the shots, but reflector is still slightly lower than what I'd like to see, plus she looks a little pissed off with the squinting - assuming it's from the light in her eyes.

5 - This one is just too underexposed. I would probably crop it down to something like just her mouth and lipstick with a part of the mirror in the frame if you're going for a sensual type of look.

Lots of potential here though! Keep it up!

AtuspidsGoddess said:
I think some of these have a lot of potential, the lighting is just (like what some others have said) inconsistent and "spotty" in some areas.

1 - lighting seems spotty to the upper right side of her face and lower left side of the face. If you're using the pop-up flash I'm assuming that you turned your camera sideways with the flash on the left and put the reflector to the right(photographer's right)? There seems to be more light on the left and then n her face as though her hair blocked some of the flash, maybe that's what made it "spotty".

2 - the reflector is being held too lower giving her that "scary story flashlight" look.

3 - The background is too light with foreground too dark. Also the poses doesn't really do anything for me because there isn't something eye catching or interesting in the foreground, maybe her necklace.

4 - This one seems to have the most even lighting of all the shots, but reflector is still slightly lower than what I'd like to see, plus she looks a little pissed off with the squinting - assuming it's from the light in her eyes.

5 - This one is just too underexposed. I would probably crop it down to something like just her mouth and lipstick with a part of the mirror in the frame if you're going for a sensual type of look.

Lots of potential here though! Keep it up!

Thanks! Will try to shoot another and i hope this will help me more :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back