Comments, do you respond?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Question because I don't want to feel guilty or obligated anymore!

Comments on hosting sites like 500px etc ( it doesn't happen on Flickr) from random people who say "awesome! Can you check out my stuff and help me please?!?!?"

Do you respond? Check their link? Thanks but don't check? Thanks and do help?

Almost every time I post I get these kinds of comments and the Canadian in me screams for me to be nice and help but for lots of reasons I don't do much more than thank them, help me soothe my Canadian soul, what do you do??

Generally speaking, IF I have the time, I go and look at the recent photos of everyone who comments on one of my 500px photos, but I don't feel obligated to comment or "like" one of their photos in return, I just give them a fair shake and check them out.

I usually only respond to the comment itself if they've asked a question.

But then, I'm a "like whore" and when I'm on 500px, it's usually because I'm trying to get enough activity going on a picture I've uploaded to move it up the scale to Popular.

I am not on 500px (yet), but I like more often than I comment on FB. Liking something shows that I care, but not enough to write something.

I try to respond with "thank you" on all of the comments that I get. I may check out their site in maybe 50% of the cases (probably not that high of a %).

Did know you were on 500px or I would follow you there ;) (stalk ya, lol)

Usually these people put the same comment on a whole load of photos that are in the "Popular" section in the hope that that photographer or another viewer will favourite or vote for theirs in return. It's basically them spamming their own photostream. I deliberately ignore anyone who requests I go to their page and vote for their pics.

If I come across them and like them, I'll do it, but not at their request!

I don't usually respond to comments, but I do usually check out their stuff regardless. Mostly I'm so excited they liked what I did at least enough to comment, and then I wonder what kind of stuff they are "into", and occasionally I find someone whose work really resonates with me (like this guy 500px / Gerard Hermand / Photos). I roll my eyes when people comment "great capture, check out my latest work blahty blah" but I'll look at it because you never know.

Usually these people put the same comment on a whole load of photos that are in the "Popular" section in the hope that that photographer or another viewer will favourite or vote for theirs in return. It's basically them spamming their own photostream. I deliberately ignore anyone who requests I go to their page and vote for their pics.

Great Comment. Please take a look at my latest thread "Blahty Blah Blah"!:biglaugh:

They post the same comment on lots of photos in an effort to try to drive people to see their own photos, and that's about all the interest they actually have in the photos their posting those comments on. I see it as spam and ignore it.

Well I'm feeling less guilty about it now :) I do try to respond to all comments with a thanks and I do visit galleries of all that comment out of sheer curiosity, if I like their stuff I will like it etc...

This right here. I will respond to a comment about my photo if its made generally. but not if it's a "just come look at my stuff" responce.

I stop the 500 just for that reason. I didn't much care for it.

I think it kinda turned me off when I first joined so I don't upload much and it was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of updating mine with more shots today, hence this post ;)

I just uploaded a few so I will see if it is less unpleasant now that I feel less guilty lol

Eh you'll get it on any social networking photo hosting website - flickr, 500pix etc.... I mostly ignore them since it is just cheap advertising. That said sometimes if the person appears to share similar interests to my own I might have a look; I don't "friend back" or anything randomly like that, but I will sometimes have a look.

That said I don't really play the whole "attention" game much so I don't get as much attention back so its pretty manageable. What annoy me more is when you get group/competition invites with big shining badges in the comments that look horrible

Sounds like we are mostly on the same page, then I start to wonder if extra effort in responding and looking for great photographers who have a large following and trying to connect to them etc... Would contribute to bigger exposure to those of us who are seeking that to move forward? This getting the right exposure online seems like a complete unsolvable puzzle to me!

If you want exposure online you have to market yourself. Basically if you want attention you can get lots of it by marketing - at its basic level adding titles and tags to your photos. However you have to pick your tools - commenting on 50 images a day to get exposure is often pretty cheap - its like spambots in forums; yeah it gets some attention but its mostly not "serious" attention and is just casual.

If yo uwant serious attention you have to use serious tools for marketing - most of which will cost.

Most reactions

Back