Compact Mirrorless Camera for Landscape

Thanks for the A7 shots! They definitely look super sharp.

The_Traveler - Did you find any issues with humidity and the heat with the A7 or Olympus?

I've spent some time with the XT1, and I think it more or less fits the bill of what you're talking about. I think the a7 is a great camera, but I don't think it's actually much smaller than a dslr when you add in the lenses. I'd say it's often larger than your t4i is when you consider it requires full frame lenses, which are bigger and heavier.

The issue though you'll keep running into is more lens size than body size with this family of cameras though. Even the Xt1 isn't all that much smaller than a t4i if you have a decent lens on the XT1.

Though, to be totally honest, for backpacking landscape, I'd go with the LX100. I don't think the smaller sensor size is much of an issue, it's pocketable, has a built in zoom, so you don't have to worry with lenses. To me, it's the perfect backpacking camera.

I have an X100T and I LOVE it. But if I was only going for the concerns you mentioned above, I'd probably lean panasonic LX100

Thanks, I was looking at the X100T too. Is there a reason why you liked the X100T over the XT1?
I already have a DSLR system camera and wanted a "carry everywhere" camera with pure ultra portability. Plus I liked the optical viewfinder (though Ive found myself going more and more to the evf). If I had it to do over it would be a tough choice between the xt1 with a pancake lens and the x100t.

Whenever they update the xt1 or the Xpro next and get a fast telephoto (at least 200mm f/2.8), I'll probably go that route and sell off the rest of my gear and be all fuji.

Thanks for the A7 shots! They definitely look super sharp.

The_Traveler - Did you find any issues with humidity and the heat with the A7 or Olympus?

No problems at all.
I took a dunking in a creek the omd and lens took a pretty good splashing but had no ill effects.
I had a bump on my shin that took 2 weeks to disappear.

As an aside, it isn't these kinds of factors that will discriminate.
All higher end cameras are products of lots of refinement and, in capable hands, can produce excellent images and have all the necessary virtues.
I think the triad of importance in choosing cameras are: features ( including sensor size and lenses), affordability and ergonomics of use.

Go try them and see which are the weight you want and which feel better in your hand.

Last edited:
I've spent some time with the XT1, and I think it more or less fits the bill of what you're talking about. I think the a7 is a great camera, but I don't think it's actually much smaller than a dslr when you add in the lenses. I'd say it's often larger than your t4i is when you consider it requires full frame lenses, which are bigger and heavier.

The issue though you'll keep running into is more lens size than body size with this family of cameras though. Even the Xt1 isn't all that much smaller than a t4i if you have a decent lens on the XT1.

Though, to be totally honest, for backpacking landscape, I'd go with the LX100. I don't think the smaller sensor size is much of an issue, it's pocketable, has a built in zoom, so you don't have to worry with lenses. To me, it's the perfect backpacking camera.

I have an X100T and I LOVE it. But if I was only going for the concerns you mentioned above, I'd probably lean panasonic LX100

Thanks, I was looking at the X100T too. Is there a reason why you liked the X100T over the XT1?
I already have a DSLR system camera and wanted a "carry everywhere" camera with pure ultra portability. Plus I liked the optical viewfinder (though Ive found myself going more and more to the evf). If I had it to do over it would be a tough choice between the xt1 with a pancake lens and the x100t.

Whenever they update the xt1 or the Xpro next and get a fast telephoto (at least 200mm f/2.8), I'll probably go that route and sell off the rest of my gear and be all fuji.
Fuji has the 5-140 f/2.8. Similar to the FF 70-200 f/2.8.

Fuji has the 5-140 f/2.8. Similar to the FF 70-200 f/2.8.
I know, but I still probably need a 200 crop (300 ff equivalent) before I'd fully make the switch.

I have the Fuji XE-2 which is the same sensor and basic guts as the XT-1 but in a rangefinder style package (love it). I'm not a big landscape shooter but I do a little. Here's some recent samples.

fujix-1.jpg
fujix-2.jpg
fujix-3.jpg
fujix-4.jpg

If you shoot raw and go with Fuji you should be forewarned to do some research on raw processing the Fuji RAF files. The X-Trans sensor CFA is not a standard Bayer array and requires special handling. As a result there's a wider variation in the results you'll get from the available raw converters.

Joe

P.S. All above shot with the 18mm-55mm zoom except the big stone temple which was shot with the 14mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back