Compact Self-Standing Monopod?

NeutralNovice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I've been a lurker for a while and now I have a new camera and more time! :) Maybe someone can help me with this..

Does anyone know where I can find a self-standing monopod that is compact (Under 17" when folded)?

Or, as an alternative, a monopod in which you can buy an adapter that will make it free-standing?

I would like to have one of these so I can use it directly in front of me in cramped stadium seating. I would use a tripod but space is pretty limited. I would try using my hands, but I don't really have a steady hand. :(

The smallest one I have found thus far is 21" when folded, which won't fit in my backpack. The particular event that I am going to does not allow tripods and even though they say nothing about monopods, I'd like to fit one in my bag to slip it past security.

No, I am not a criminal or anything, I just want to take advantage of the loophole. :)

Thanks!

Generally those free standing monopods are pretty awfully unstable. The base is narrow and they are generally tall. They sway back and forth in even breezes.

Here's a trick that I've used in the past. monopod bungee corded to something. Perhaps a handrail or the seat infront of you.

Its a similar loophole to art galleries - no tripods, but nothing about monopods - mostly, as you say, because of space.
As for a free standing monopod I think you might be out of luck there. From what I have gathered the monopods with small legs at the base simply don't have the stability to freestand (especially with a camera on top). The legs might be a little more stable that a point but its not a huge difference. Couple that with the crowds in a statium and I would not even trust my camera of a tripod to stand free.
I think your just going to have to bite the bullet and hold onto your camera for the game

I tend to have shaky hands.. the image stabilization in my camera is not working as well as other cameras... for now at least. (Casio EX-F1)

I also wanted to take video footage of the activity in the field in HD and again, my hands tend to be shaky. I would bring a tripod but they're not allowed so I think a free-standing monopod would be the best compromise.

EDIT: btw, i love this forum already! :) i got an answer in figuratively a split second! :) Thanks for your advice so far!

Most reactions

Back