Compact Video | HD | Need recommendation

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Its not often I seek out for recommendations or even gear help. But I'm in a little pickle and need some advice.

I want to start recording some of my work outs, however I don't feel like lugging around my D810 to the gym on my massive tripod.

I have a go pro but the quality isn't near what I'm trying to achieve and the battery life is terrible!

Something compact, while providing at least 1080 (extremely good quality), does not need to be 4k.

I don't mind spending money, and a nice sleek low profile tripod is a must.

Lets hear your ideas.

-Sean

Which go pro do you have..? My Hero 4 Silver shoots 1080p at 30fps... and the Hero 4 black shoots 4k... and if you add the extra battery pack you get hours of life.

Jake

Both shot with the Hero 4 Silver.

Don't forget to watch in HD.

Jake

Oh wow! Jake those are great. Especially in HD.

Hmmmm, looks like I may have to look at the new Hero4.

I honestly don't know which one I have, but its crappy I'll tell you that lol.

My only complaint with the go pro, even in your video (but its a go pro thing, I believe), way too much distortion, everything is such fisheye effect.

My only complaint with the go pro, even in your video (but its a go pro thing, I believe), way too much distortion, everything is such fisheye effect.

True. There's gotta be a way to correct that. Also, the fixed focus distance kinda stinks. It doesn't focus well on things closer than a foot or two.

It even has pretty impressive low-light photo capabilities. Granted this was edited in VSCO on my phone, but you get the idea.

vscocam-photo-1 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

And it's time-lapse fun:

Jake

I picked up a Sony RX100 iii a few months ago to use instead of lugging the 70D. I am very happy with the video quality. It requires a SDXC card to use the better format option of XAVC S. I also use a GoPro Black 3+ and with the LCD Backpack works for a lightweight option. Usually, I have the GoPro on a Joby Gorillapod or a monopod. And agree with Jake about the focus on the GoPro is for near objects. The GoPro can be set to Narrow and you will not have the fisheye.

This was filmed on the Sony:

This was filmed on the GoPro Black 3+ with the exception of one timelapse:

@CheryIL Correct me if I'm wrong, when switching to Narrow it actually reduces the resolution, almost like going from FX to DX

True. There's gotta be a way to correct that. Also, the fixed focus distance kinda stinks. It doesn't focus well on things closer than a foot or two.

It even has pretty impressive low-light photo capabilities. Granted this was edited in VSCO on my phone, but you get the idea.

And it's time-lapse fun:

Jake

I went and picked up a Hero 4 Black last night. Going to try it out tonight, I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work out.

It's sleek, low profile and like you said, it does 4k at 30fps, even 4k superview at 24, but theres way too much distortion in superview for my liking.

And it's time-lapse fun:

Jake

I went and picked up a Hero 4 Black last night. Going to try it out tonight, I have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work out.

It's sleek, low profile and like you said, it does 4k at 30fps, even 4k superview at 24, but theres way too much distortion in superview for my liking.

See. Totes worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@CheryIL Correct me if I'm wrong, when switching to Narrow it actually reduces the resolution, almost like going from FX to DX

With the Black 3+ the frame rate options vary. 1080p highest 60 fps and 720p highest 120fps.

With your new Black 4 the frame rate for 1080p 120fps & 720p 240 fps. The 4k is higher frame rates than the Black 3+
I may have read somewhere that the focus is better in the Black 4. I did think about upgrading, but went with the Sony RX100 iii instead. The Black 4 has a different design in batteries.

It is easier for me to shoot holding onto one of the mounts, such as the flat mount or the monopod mount. That is if I do not have it on the monopod or the Joby. The GoPro fits into a can coolie. If I am out somewhere I can then just throw it in the bag without the worry of damage.

Have fun with your new purchase!

Hey guys, just wanted to share a quick video I took with the new Go Pro Hero 4 Black edition.

First impressions...Extremely sleek and slim design. Typical go pro.

Setting it up...The new interface is a lot more user friendly (not sure when they changed that, but the Hero 4 is easy to navigate compared to my older model).

Easy to change between resolutions and frame rate.

Quality...I've only had it one day but the quality is definitely a lot better than I expected, from a go pro (haven't really looked at them lately). Still not liking the extreme fisheye effect, I didn't even use 'superview' mode haha. I guess I'm just so use to my D810 and my 85 1.4 (I love that dof and focal agh)

Going to do some more testing, but I don't think I'm going to keep it. Batteries died way too fast and just not digging the 8mm effect. However, the 4k is impressive and its crazy how they can push out the quality they can in such a little package.

Video is nothing special, just a quick test.

I sucked it up and dragged the 810 to the gym last night......I don't think I can turn back now haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back