What's new

Compact vs Second Hand Backup Body

barfastic

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
119
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since i posted, but i am about to go on a trip to iceland next weekend (for 7 days), and i just want to ask for your opinions, because i am a little stuck for ideas.

I havent had a P&S since i got my dslr, and i feel that i am not taking picutres when i go out with friends etc, because i simply cant lug around my d300s +24-70, let alone look sleek at a nightclub without getting stared at all night.

so ive been getting the urge to buy a P&S for practical reasons.

But... here comes the big but... ive been looking at the s95 at about 380€ because if i buy a P&S i want it to be able to do alot of things. .

and at that price range i could probably buy a cheap second hand body to take with me to Iceland, incase something goes wrong. d90 or something like that. and eventually in november trade in my d300s and upgrade to a d700 or something fullframe. I have the lenses to support me for full frame so added cost of new FX lenses isnt there.

What would you guys do? Is having a second back up body THAT important? Photography isnt my job, nor do i make money off of it, but it is something i REALLY enjoy.

TIA,
Mike
 
IMO,

If you trip to iceland is for enjoyment, then you'll want to enjoy it. To me lugging extra heavy equipment is choir and something I would rather be paid to do not for enjoyment. That second body is essential for someone who depends on delivering a product to a customer as a paid assignment. Less important if its a vacation.

I would recommend getting a high end P&S such as the S95 you mentioned. When on vacation and I have a secured "home base" (hotel), I would carry both primary and a P&S. Usually leaving some equipment locked up in a pelican case or hotel safe as I come and go. Its worked out well.
 
I am going on a photography workshop/seminar with some other photographers... so gear is definately going to be lugged around.
 
I'm going on a 3 week trip with my wife and bought an EP-3 exactly for that small lug-around issue. It is amazingly light, great for street stuff (inconspicuous) and startlingly sharp even with kit lens. These were taken with it.

It is, unfortunately, not so inexpensive however. With EVF it is around $1000. Definitely need extra battery.
 
First Sw1tch (which later sold.. bummer), Me, Ron, recently Kundalini and now you Traveler. M43 is starting to catch on.
Ain't life funny? :biglaugh: I can't say enough about the m43 format, Oly specifically. Very much fun to use and has gotten me back to shooting stuff like I had forgotten before.



Back to the OP. Since my partner has seen my little EP3, she has become interested in getting a camera. Mind you, she IS NOT a shooter. she will in all likelyhood put the camera in Auto or one of the many scene modes and go from there. But I got to tell you, and usayit can confirm this, the Oly m43 jpegs SOOC are wonderful. However, her job takes her on trips abroad and she is wanting a small (compact P&S - no lens changes) to take along. In November she will be heading to Zambia (I think) and will be making a day trip to Victoria Falls. A camera phone just won't do.

I have been doing the research for her and my conclusions thus far are limited to the Olympus XZ-1, Canon S95 and Panasonic LX5. Her budget is $500USD and all of these fall within that range and offer some amazing features. Albeit, the Oly XZ-1 is $100USD more, but is still in the running. All of the will fit in a purse or jacket pocket, but I dare say they will be pocketable in a pair of jeans.

There is a sister forum to the MU-43 forum for compacts, seriouscompacts.com. Check it out for some useful, hands-on experience from users.
 
You might check out the Sony Next-7

We have been traveling and taking a lot of hikes.
I like my D5100 with 10-24 and 28-300 lens.
When someone ask for us to take a picture with their pocket camera, I try to get my wife to do it.
Like KaKa in my hands, I really cannot stand them, plus
I have the hardest time trying to hold them steady.
I returned a D3100 for that same reason. It was too small and too light weight.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom