Complete Newbie: Insuring equipment?

Jesse11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All! I am a complete newbie though I have been lurking on the forum for awhile. I have a question about insuring my equipment. I have a d60 and a couple of lenses (nothing too expensive) and do not have anything insured yet. I do some second shooting for weddings and some family/child pics when asked by family and friends...so I would in now way call myself a professional by an stretch of the imagination. However, as I begin to get more equipment and do more with photography should I have my equipment insured and how/where do I go about doing this?

Also, on a side note, the hubby and I are going to be going to Hawaii on vacation and I cannot wait to bring along my camera to capture the scenery etc. (though i do enjoy taking photos of people rather than scenery.) BUT I am very concerned about taking the camera without insurance...worried about theft and/or dropping/damaging the camera (I have an insane lack of grace lol :lmao:). Also, I have never traveled with camera equipment before so if anyone can give me any advice for how to travel with the camera I would welcome those comments as well! :D

Thanks in advance!! ;-)

Good question about the insurance Jesse11. I've been curious about that as well. Regarding traveling - I have a LowePro backpack bag that I really like, and I never let it out of my site. On the plane, it's under the seat in front of me, and next to me in the cab. When I'm walking, it's securely on my back. The zippers are such that there'd be no way anyone could be behind me and open it easily, but I still make sure all of the zippers are zipped so that the tabs are out of site. If we're at the airport waiting for the flight, and I have to use the bathroom or whatever, I'll make sure I tell my partner to watch it for me while I'm gone. And I make sure I've got a verbal acknowledgement so I know he's listening. The one good habit I incorporated from the start, is that no matter what, whenever I take anything out of the bag, or put anything into it, I always make sure I close the compartment completely - even if I'm only taking it out for a second. It'll help prevent theft, but more importantly, it'll help prevent against damage. When I'm out walking around, I've always got the strap wrapped around my hand. That way I know I'm not going to drop it, and if somebody is going to try to steal it, they're going to have to take my arm with it.

Your homeowner's or renter's insurance company should offer a rider specifically for expensive items like camera equipment. For example, I have renter's insurance from USAA, and they have the option to add "Valuable Personal Property" insurance specifically for my camera equipment. You just list your gear and its value, they give you a quote, and it becomes part of your regular insurance bill. I pay right around $19/month for my renter's insurance and $5000 worth of camera equipment. Note: this only applies for gear used in a non-commercial way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

IIRC, you need to have receipts for your gear.... Otherwise, you'd be limited to the amount you will get back if something happens and need to file a claim.

Homeowners and renters insurance usually only cover gear used as a hobby.

Once someone starts charging for their photography services, they need to check with their insurance agent about getting an Inland Marine policy for their gear and business liability insurance.

Last edited:
Not sure about the differentiation between professional use/hobby use as I use mine for hobby. However, I would recommend you discuss with your insurance agent/broker.

Currently I have a 'rider' on my homeowners insurance. There are some advantages to a 'rider'.

1. If you need to file a claim on a 'rider' protected item it doesn't reflect negatively on your overall insurance cost. Meaning, if my equipement gets stolen and I file a claim for it...it won't affect my homeowners insurance. Same with my wifes jewlery.

2. It's not free. For the most part a 'rider' tends to run approximatly $1 for every $100 in insured value. So $3000 in equipment will run you approximatly $30 a year in additional premium.

Good luck.

Uhh.. did anyone notice this OP is BANNED? For Trolling?

When i got the rider on my home isurance, no receipts were required but they did need a list of all equipment, complete with model and serial numbers.

State Farm insures my stuff dirt-cheap with 0 deductible.

However, I would recommend you discuss with your insurance agent/broker.
Yep. Like legal questions, onilne is usually the wrong place to be asking.

Aye, though it can often give one some insight and thought so that time spent talking with the broker/agent can be better spent.

Also always be careful and check the fine-print on home-owners riders. I know some who've insured that way and then found that claims would count (or count partly) on their main insurance and thus they don't file them. In addition remember that insurance companies don't actually like people who make claims on insurance. Rider claims might not count toward your main, but if you make enough of them they might well end up pushing you onto a higher rate (because you're a more risky gamble for them as you do claim).

It's always a risk with the home-owners because you don't want to be left without it - so also consider separate photo insurance. There are also some associations and groups you can join which can offer group discounts on photo gear.

I just insured my gear as a 'listed equipment' as a rider to my homeowners insurance. I'm paying a little less than $2/100 value per year. I took pictures of everything, scanned in all the receipts (note, at B&H, you can get them online!), and created a spread sheet of everything and sent her the CD with everything on it. She said I went overboard, but was very pleased. I, too, am sometimes a real klutz, and dropping or losing an "L" lens would not be cheap to replace.

As far as travel goes, my general rule is to travel light with 1 body and only 2 lenses and pack it in a non-descript, regular rolling carry-on bag with clothing, etc. In general, it's never out of my sight, or in the luggage bin. When shooting where there's a crowd, if I can't carry everything on me (I have a belt with lens case attached), I'll leave the extra lens or whatever with a trusted friend or somewhere reasonably secure. If it disappears, the insurance company will replace it. Even though I'm somewhat paranoid about having something stolen and do my best it doesn't happen, someday, something will likely disappear.

I asked my insurance company about this just last week.I also asked what would happen if someone
takes my equipment from me when I am out shooting.

They asked me if my equipment is for business or personal.

Since it is for personal use,I am covered with my home insurance,but I need to keep receipts or take
pictures of all the equipment.

Most reactions

Back