Composites

This is a composite of 6 pictures

$ChefBianca3.jpg

I guess a panorama qualifies as a composite.
Pano50-52-L.jpg

^Your horizon is not straight...
I guess what bothers me about these "composites" is that the white balance seems off on the different elements, or, the lighting is different, focus is off, etc. If your taking the time the arrange these in a composite, then why not take the time to fix the other issues as well?

I guess what bothers me about these "composites" is that the white balance seems off on the different elements, or, the lighting is different, focus is off, etc. If your taking the time the arrange these in a composite, then why not take the time to fix the other issues as well?

You have a good point, but that's part of the fun of a composite as far as tweaking ones skills in making them. Each one I've made was totally different in some way. It allowed me to let my creativity develope and get an idea of what I really love to do as far as graphics or photography.

Do you have a composite that shows what you mean? It has all the shadows and lighting just right? I'd love to learn how you edit the images to get a better image. :)

In my case it came down to what I wanted vs' what the child wanted :) I don't do composites a lot but sometimes ithe skills come in handy. Another instance was a gymnastics team that INSISTED on their team photo in a room where I could not fit the entire group in my frame. So I took a shot of the top 3 rows then the middle rowns then the bottom and stitched them together. In that case it came down to doing whatever was necessary to keep a picky client happy. These are all retail examples.

Composites have been around as long as photography. I love some of the work people did in the darkroom, combining photos. I always thought this was a neat example: Henry Peach Robinson's Fading Away
$800px-Fading_Away.jpg

If the purpose is just to learn how to use photoshop, which is what I assume you are using, then its fine. I was only pointing out that you shouldn't stop there. While I don't have any images of my own readily available to show you, I can provide links if you'd like, to some with flawless execution. Also, not knowing your level of photoshop experience, its hard for me to give pointers. but I can say that these would need multiple layers with various shadows, burning, dodging, blurring, sharpening, and then perhaps some global gradient maps to even out the tones, and make it appear as one image. When your eye can pick out things that don't look right, it makes the image appear fake. The ultimate objective is to fool your eye. Good start though :)

some examples. although not people. And not my work so I can't post here.
Mercedes Comp Profile | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Garden Varity Ferrari | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Redhead | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

also, this guy
Bert Monroy
is an absolute master at photoshop...
there are tutorials on his site as well.
times square has 750,000 photoshop layers!

The cheese on the baby image has a high luminance value and there is front lighting which isn't casting a hard shadow from the cheese. Thats why the image looks fake. The whole image seems like there is a single light source coming from the cheese. But the only shadow in the image is from the lemon grass in the image. So then the eye gets confused to where the actual light source is from.

If the purpose is just to learn how to use photoshop, which is what I assume you are using, then its fine. I was only pointing out that you shouldn't stop there. While I don't have any images of my own readily available to show you, I can provide links if you'd like, to some with flawless execution. Also, not knowing your level of photoshop experience, its hard for me to give pointers. but I can say that these would need multiple layers with various shadows, burning, dodging, blurring, sharpening, and then perhaps some global gradient maps to even out the tones, and make it appear as one image. When your eye can pick out things that don't look right, it makes the image appear fake. The ultimate objective is to fool your eye. Good start though :)

some examples. although not people. And not my work so I can't post here.
Mercedes Comp Profile | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Garden Varity Ferrari | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Redhead | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Those are some nice examples. :)

Boy, your eye is better than mine. In this case the lighting is as it was in the scene. Multiple shots at the same setting. I'm not nearly at the level to correct that without it really showing.

The "horizon" for something like this can be affected by perspective because it's not a true horizon, but a shoreline. The vertical lines of the buildings/windows and the reflections in the water testify that it's straight.

As for the other nits, this is the themes gallery; A gallery based solely on having a bit of fun sharing photos that have common themes. In any and all of these themes galleries, you'll find photos at all levels of skill from beginner to advanced, and there's no qualification or expectation of perfection or mastery here, much less to one person's ideas of what that is or should be, especially given the artistic freedom people have to create what they want. Any pieces that don't suit your particular taste for any particular reason(s) can be chalked up to "you can't please everyone".

If someone wants to create a piece that shows a giant purple person with tiny green monkey hands floating in space on a raft made of inverted Coke bottles tied together with 30 foot long tiger tails with pink flamingo feather tassels and the shadows going every which crazy nonsensical way for no logical reason at all, you can like it or not, and it doesn't make a bit of difference to anyone who does like it, including the artist that made it.

Think of it this way: Not every painting is in the style of a Renaissance Master. Some are more in the Cubist tradition or a cartoonist tradition or a kid with a crayon tradition. It doesn't have to make sense or look 100% "real" to you or anyone else for it to be a valid way of communicating the artist's vision.

The way to participate in the themes gallery threads is to post YOUR work that fits the theme.

These are all amazing at my photoshop level lol, with some of them being plain breathtaking. (I know enough to know how hard they are, I dont know how to do it, but i know how its done if that makes sense.....?) Anyway, since I'm doing my best to start being an active participant of the forum, heres mine that I just did. And yes, since I know not what I do, I'm following the Kiss principle. :)

$IMG_4072.jpg

Most reactions

Back