Compositing FIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have any good resources or tips for compositing... fire? :lol:

The other day my husband texted me...

$IMG_2012.jpg

When I got home I kept protesting the idea of setting ANYTHING in our yard on fire.

He assured me that his days as a child, apparently being a pyro and setting plenty of sh*t on fire, has proved that he can do just that without burning down........ anything.

I, quite frankly, don't believe him.

HOWEVER...

I am kind of interesting in doing a fun shoot with him. I just... don't... want to... you know... attract cops... or burn our house down... that kind of thing. :lmao:

So does anyone have any good resources for compositing fire and what not? The thing that immediately comes to mind is how the light from a fire would affect the way the light played off his face and what not, but photographing him without an actual fire present, would obviously not give that result... so that's something I'd have to think about while putting this together in PS........

Seems like it might be challenging, but I'm up for playing around with it.

Any tips/links/resources appreciated :sillysmi:

I know nothing about compositing photos. I'd go for 'the real thing' and take the desired pictures with a real nightime fire someplace where it's legal to have nighttime fires...perhaps a large public beach or campground near by? Perhaps you or a friend has a cabin in the wild somewhere that the authorities wouldn't see/find/care about a campfire-sized cookout.

And regarding mailboxes, even though you bought and paid for the one at the end of your driveway, it's property of the US Postal Service. Lighting it on fire is probably some kind of offense. At least that's what I was told 50+ years ago when I'd blow 'em up with a couple of M-80s tied together. But then, how is it that the snow plow guys can freely demolish them without penalty, and =I= have to buy a new one? Here in Taxachusetts, mine gets knocked off every other year or so, 3 hits and it's beyond repair. The box has to be replaced. I may resort to a 12" cement filled tube with threaded rods out the top next time.

Setting mailboxes on fire is perfectly safe. Trust me. I know.

Worst case, you have to buy a new mailbox. That's what, like $20?

And regarding mailboxes, even though you bought and paid for the one at the end of your driveway, it's property of the US Postal Service.
BULL****.

If you bought and paid for it, it is in no way the property of the USPS. And even if it was, that's just one more reason to burn it.

a real nightime fire someplace where it's legal to have nighttime fires...perhaps a large public beach or campground near by? Perhaps you or a friend has a cabin in the wild somewhere that the authorities wouldn't see/find/care about a campfire-sized cookout.

It wouldn't be a nighttime fire. It'd be a daytime fire. :lol:

And we don't know anyone out here with a place where it's legal to burn anything.

Not to mention, we didn't buy the mailbox at the end of our driveway. We don't even own our driveway. We rent our driveway. And our house. :lmao:

That's the MAIN reason I'm hesitant to do this for REAL... because... I like our house, and I like our Landlord, and I'm not trying to get kicked out of here any time soon. :lol:

And regarding mailboxes, even though you bought and paid for the one at the end of your driveway, it's property of the US Postal Service.
BULL****.

If you bought and paid for it, it is in no way the property of the USPS. And even if it was, that's just one more reason to burn it.

Actually that's true.

You buy it... they own it.

It's bull****, I know. :lol:

BULL****.

Actually that's true.

You buy it... they own it.

It's bull****, I know. :lol:

I still don't believe that. If they owned it, they would be responsible for it's maintenance. So, burn it.

Say it got hit by lightning if the cops come asking questions about your mailbox.

Show me the US Code relevant to privately purchased property becoming the property of the government because it was used as a mail receptacle.

Renting?? What happens if it burns out of control? and damages the landlord's property... is it worth the risk of having to pay for damages and/or possibly being evicted?

I don't know where you live if a burn is legal; where I live people can burn leaves out of the village limits but not in town.

Renting?? What happens if it burns out of control? and damages the landlord's property... is it worth the risk of having to pay for damages and/or possibly being evicted?

I don't know where you live if a burn is legal; where I live people can burn leaves out of the village limits but not in town.

Hence why I'm asking about COMPOSITING. :greenpbl: :sexywink:

Have you ever seen a mailbox?

They are typically kinda small, and pretty far away from the house.

OK, worst case, grass fire, which could potentially spread to the house. Water the lawn, heavily, prior to torching the mailbox. Also, take the mail out first.

I am so disappointed in you, Emily.

...you know you want to...

This is not true (Any such law of silent ownership transfer by default would probably be unconstitutional in fact due to the 5th amendment, since they never gave you a check for compensation).

However there are some regulations. Like you're not supposed to have any other couriers or people make deliveries to your mailbox (I don't know if you'd get in trouble or they would, but regardless, you can't give them permission to do so and make it okay, unless you mark the entire box as not a USPS box). And also, you do have to have some sort of means available by which the USPS can deliver mail to your residence, and I think you could theoretically be fined or whatever if you destroyed your mailbox and did not have any other mail slot or whatnot to replace it with. Theoretically...

Much more importantly, it is almost certainly very illegal to set random objects on fire that are doused in lighter fluid with no protective pit or anything right next to a public street...

Anyway, how much do frikkin mailboxes cost? Just buy a mailbox to burn.

OK I read this wrong... so what are you burning to photograph?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I read this wrong... so what are you burning to photograph?

I think you read it right the first time.

Sorry if my reply to your post was offensive or anything (I didn't mean for it to be) - but you have to consider that a mailbox is very small, and very far away from the house (usually). The "risks" are very minimal, IMO.

Not sure what the grass is like in Nashville, but down here in Texas, grass fires are a real concern (everything is very dry here), so I would definitely water the hell out of the lawn prior to any kind of fire. (And of course be prepared to put out a small fire should one arise.)

But really, the worst thing I can see happening is that the mailbox would have to be replaced. Things would have to get very bad very fast for something worse than that to happen.

Most reactions

Back