Composition of some forest shots

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took these today, and am wondering what you guys think not of the exposure, depth of field, etc, but of the composure of these shots. It's a bit dark today, so I couldn't open up the aperture and get eveything in focus like I would've liked on some of these. Here's 5 of them I took, and there's just a couple more I took that I won't bother posting:

2811675808_e4e520ed96.jpg

2810831261_bf53c27789.jpg

2810832113_daffcec3f0.jpg

2810831261_bf53c27789.jpg

2810830943_91fb7761f1.jpg

Do I need to crop any? Are any of them just boring?

Last edited:
Are any of them just boring?

uh... yeah....
they're all pretty much uninteresting.

But this is truly a tough subject. Under the leaves, the light is SOOOO flat and the subject is SOOOO vertical.

The third one has enough directional light to bring out the texture of the moss. And the wide-angle lens is causing the lines to converge, but lead to nothing. So, this is the strongest image, but still not "doing it."

Like I said, this is a hard place to work, especially without a tripod.

I hope this is helpful.

-Pete

Yeah, it also isn't necessarily the best area for interesting angles and good lighting, it is simply my backyard.

Yeah, it also isn't necessarily the best area for interesting angles and good lighting, it is simply my backyard.

You have a WONDERFUL back yard!

It's a tough subject, but not impossible. Did you try working at the edge of the treeline?

I know there are some nice images there. It's just a challenge to find them and photograph them.

Have fun!

-Pete

Do you have an example of a photo using the edge of the tree line? I'm not sure there's enough of one here for it to be viable...

I have to agree its a very challenging subject to photograph - you have done well in trying not to get the floor of the woods in view - If I were you I would try for a really bright and sunny day and be in their - you can get some great shots with sunlight streaming through the canopy

Yeah, a bit late for that. I'm not expecting excess sunlight for a while.

Edit: Also, why should I try not to get the floor in the shots?

Last edited:
Edit: Also, why should I try not to get the floor in the shots?

search me - I am a little parrot phrasing that one - though I hear its all about either focusin on the ground or focusing on the trees - meh rules are made to be broken once you know how

Most reactions

Back