Composition

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a formal exercise in 19th century composition. How'd I do?

$Wilkieesque.jpg

You did well, really good! Really like how the light divides the scene, and the arrangement of the kitchen items is very logical and aesthetic. The shadow from the object hanging on the wall adds a lot of dimension and is very important to this composition.

I'd like to see just a bit more room at the top of the frame. Maybe twice the distance between the top of the object and the top border.

I like it too. For some reason, I want to see it in color - maybe because the arrangement makes me think of a painting.
I guess that's another hint that you succeeded.

It is in fact an extremely conscious copying of Wilkie's "The Blind Fiddler" which is indeed a painting! Mine is simpler and more formal and, obvious, a photograph. Also, it's kitchen implements instead of people ;)

Thank you!

Here it is in a hurriedly thrown together color interpretation. The colors are very modern on the bottles (they're from my cabinet!) so it doesn't really translate. Some judicious desaturation helped, and some burning/dodging/painting here and there.

$Wilkieesque Color.jpg

Also, the remark about space at the top is spot on. The stems of the dried flowers are too long. This was arranged "seeing" only the flowers themselves, and the stems therefore subtly disturb the arrangement. I should probably make like a proper painter, and just clone the dang things down to size.

Also, the remark about space at the top is spot on. The stems of the dried flowers are too long. This was arranged "seeing" only the flowers themselves, and the stems therefore subtly disturb the arrangement. I should probably make like a proper painter, and just clone the dang things down to size.

One thing that may work is to Push the blacks all the way in your bw conversion and render Gaussian blur just a bit. Just for you to stop seeing subject and start seeing Visual space. Sometimes its a worthy exercise to help give a better idea of relational space and object weight.

Just a bit more space at the top would make it not feel so cramped and would resolve the visual discomfort for me. But now that you mention how long the stem is, I'm sure you could clone out a piece towards the top-- it would provide more space and resolve the visual tension.

The stem points the eye out of the frame (sort of), and there's just not a whole lot of room up there.

But this is maybe the best shot I've seen you post, this is really getting into the nits

Did they have box graters in the 19th century? Not sure myself, just curious. I would also think the glass bowl would likely be of earthenware instead.

The objects are contemporary, the structure of the picture is olde skool.

Wow this is some real nice composition! Love the b/w over the color

Most reactions

Back