Compute experts need your help please

as mentioned above, Check with your Cousin first to see if they have an original install disk the the laptop.

If that doesn't work you can download Windows 10 for free.
But being a laptop they normally have drivers that aren't in a clean OS install.
You'll have to go through the computer devices and find each specific driver (video, network, etc) as it may not be in a new install download. I've found this the most annoying about reinstalling laptops if a clean OS isn't available in a partition or disk.

With most laptops/computer companies they have support page which has all the drivers (often in one easy bundle) for your specific laptop. (identified by model number) I know Toshiba does.

So all you need is a connection to the net once you reinstall (Win 10 will have a basic driver that will get your network card going) and then shop there first.

Dear Apple,

Thank you for having a partition with all the necessary data and programs to do a clean install on every Mac. I appreciate not having to keep track of CD's, or DVD's. Plus I know that once I do the basic reinstall the App Store will update any and all drivers, OS etc.

Sincerely,

All us Mac's. :biggrin-93:

Sorry, Peg, I couldn't resist. I will leave you with one last thought since it seems you are probably dealing with multiple malware's, spyware's etc.

:biglaugh:

Dear Apple,

Thank you for having a partition with all the necessary data and programs to do a clean install on every Mac. I appreciate not having to keep track of CD's, or DVD's. Plus I know that once I do the basic reinstall the App Store will update any and all drivers, OS etc.

Sincerely,

All us Mac's. :biggrin-93:

Sorry, Peg, I couldn't resist. I will leave you with one last thought since it seems you are probably dealing with multiple malware's, spyware's etc.

:biglaugh:

Yeah, My old mac software that I bought, which was out of date, was not available after I did a fresh install once. I emailed them ... no response. I don't remember the software any more .. it was an upgrade from some free version to a Pro version. Oh well.

Very funny gryph, especially since I only got to have the Toshiba because my daughter convinced me that she just had to have a macbook pro so now I can't afford one of my own, hahahahaha!

right now I'm backing the whole thing up to a disc in case I blow it then will have to wait until later tonight to try the new install. Got to bring home the bacon...

No partitioned drive that I can see. There is a "back up and restore image (windows 7)" option under "system"

I don't know anything helpful, just wanted to see what was suggested from those who know way more than me. But I got a kick out of you getting hand me downs - from your kids! lol

All I know is I tried Chrome and hated it, couldn't get it off the computer fast enough! lol but don't even remember why. Good luck with getting it all working.

I don't know anything helpful, just wanted to see what was suggested from those who know way more than me. But I got a kick out of you getting hand me downs - from your kids! lol

All I know is I tried Chrome and hated it, couldn't get it off the computer fast enough! lol but don't even remember why. Good luck with getting it all working.

Don't laugh, these are some nice hand me downs! I also got hand me down Beats when she used her babysitting money to buy the wireless ones, a hand me down ipod once she was old enough for a phone, and my personal favorites - all of the hair products and make up that she tries and doesn't like... I keep them all in a perfectly good backpack that was just "too babyish" for middle school. I may never have to shop again. Yes she's spoiled, that's the beauty of having just one!

What do you all think of this?

upload_2016-6-22_14-59-48.png

Very funny gryph, especially since I only got to have the Toshiba because my daughter convinced me that she just had to have a macbook pro so now I can't afford one of my own, hahahahaha!

Smart Daughter, very smart. :biggrin-93: :biggrin-new:

That looks like what you need to know. You may want to call Toshiba support and give them the model number and serial number to verify.

If it is...... Print it out. Twice. Not disparaging you abilities, but it sucks halfway through the install if you go to do something else since this will take a while, and when you come back you can't find the instructions.

Plus it's good to have a copy to put away for future use.

FYI if it asks if you want to do a disk check before the install. You do. It will check the disk health and locate and isolate any bad sectors. Like sensors having a dead pixel or two, disks can have bad sectors. Not all restores will ask this, some do it automatically, some don't. I don't know if Toshiba does or not.

Successfully started from scratch. It reverted back to Windiws 8 so now I'm upgrading to 10. Before I did that I checked a few things and the speed was great! Hopefully it will remain so after I install PSE 11 and MS Office. I have a few other programs that I use but I'm going to install them one at a time as needed. Thanks all for your help!

Ok, if you haven't installed the other software yet Install all Microsoft products first. Then 3rd party software.

Successfully started from scratch. It reverted back to Windiws 8 so now I'm upgrading to 10. Before I did that I checked a few things and the speed was great! Hopefully it will remain so after I install PSE 11 and MS Office. I have a few other programs that I use but I'm going to install them one at a time as needed. Thanks all for your help!

I looked at the screen shot you posted of your Programs and Features. IMO, the main reason for the slowness and problems you were experiencing was caused by WildTangent Games. WildTangent is a gateway for all kinds of spyware. Now that you've started from scratch, I recommend you install the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC That will help reduce the amount of spyware/malware your computer gets. Scan your system once a week, and don't install any 3rd party tool bars. Also, make sure you keep your AV up to date, and scan regularly.

I haven't seen it mentioned... but Avast antivirus is free, good...and free. LOL, I put it on everything windows.

Just get rid of Norton first.

Update on this. Did the "back to factory" reset. One of the consequences of that is that all of my software needed to be downloaded - which I guess it would have been an issue regardless of the reset since the laptop was previously my daughter's and not mine but just a FYI for those considering this option - What a p.i.t.a.

Finding product keys and looking for download links was not fun! I spent a ton of time on this all told. First there was the upgrade to Windows 10, then MS Office then Webroot. Uninstalled as much of Norton as I could but it is asking me to sign in to uninstall the rest but since we never created the account to begin with, there is no signing in. It's a very sticky program and hard to get rid of! Next I had to recalibrate my screen so had to find where I put the ColorMunki software and screen reader. Then I scoured the Adobe site trying to figure out why my account wasn't showing that I bought Elements 11 a few years ago only to later find the download disc in my desk since apparently I bought the disc and not the digital download! Then of course Elements wouldn't read raw files until I figured out the right version of ACR/DNG converter to add and got that downloaded... Thought I was done but I tried to edit some files today only to realize that I forgot to download my Topaz labs filters so then I went down that rabbit hole finding the product key and the right link to download all that stuff... sigh

I think I'm finished! Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

Most reactions

Back