Computer Question

Why AlexB - I have a laptop with XP, is there something wrong with Vista. I will be buying a home computer in Spain and would like some info on the pro's and cons?

www.badvista.org ... a bit biased (as I am myself ;)) .. but lots of truth in what is written there.

I may be switching away from PC's once I find the business software I need. I won't be moving to Vista. The one thing I use that is PC-only is the UPS Worldship shipping program. I can dedicate one workstation for PC use just to run that software. I think I can do everything else with either Mac or Linux. I already have a Linux machine running and testing software. If I wanted the system primarily for photography, I would choose Mac without a second thought. But my computers are for business primarily so I haven't yet decided. I think Linux may be a better choice for accounting and things like that since there are some powerful Unix applications. I've done some image processing on the Linux machine but it isn't as good as Photoshop on a PC. Photoshop does run on the Mac, however, and probably better than it does on a PC.

I was a PC user from about 1987 till October 2006. I love my Macs. Purchased a Mac book in October and was hooked. What pushed me to Mac was trying to run software on my Dell laptop for DJing - I had issue after issue. All my buddies use Macs and run the same software. I purchased my Mac, installed the software (I still can't get over how simple things install on the Mac), and haven't looked back at my PC since. Since, I have purchased a iMac 20" for myself and a 15" for my wife. I crossgraded my CS2 suite from PC to Mac (free) and even like using Photoshop on the Mac better. There are a few things that I've had to un-learn from my PC ways, but other than that I can't say a bad thing about my Macs. Also, if you are close to a Apple store, definitely purchase the ProCare membership, aside from access to free pro seminars, you can sit down with a Mac expert for one hour a week, one on one and talk (learn) about any issues or software on your Mac.
That's my 2 cents.

Tom

Well... I'm firmly in the PC camp, but on the linux side. I've found very little I can't do on linux (other than microsoft money, which I've come to realize I need) and games, but my 5 year old linux box is still working like a champ. Unless you're doing a lot of manipulation with your photos, or need CMYK, I think The Gimp is plenty for most people. I'm able to run what I want to run, keep it up-to-date and secure, and do it all on hardware that other people get rid of because it doesn't run windows fast enough.

The most sensible argument I've ever heard though is this:
Who do you call when you can't figure out how to solve a problem with your computer? What're they running? Buy that.

Most reactions

Back